EAP-235 In-WALL MAP issues in Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-01 18:26:39
Model: EAP235-Wall  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.0.0 Build 20210322 Rel. 53895

With clients plugged into the switch ports the EAP-235 doesn't show up as connected to the POE switch in the Omada Controller. The EAP-235 shows up as a standalone device in the map and not connected to anything. Also clients connected to the EAP-235 switch ports show up as connected to the POE switch not the EAP-235.

Options
8 Reply
Re:EAP-235 In-WALL MAP issues in Omada Controller
2021-08-02 08:37:34

@Jackace 

There is one PoE out port on the 235-Wall. Check the product pics: https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap235-wall/

And, what you say here is when you plug a device into the EAP235-W, it will just pass through this device? Not connected to the EAP but to the switch? I don't really understand.. Not sure if I understand you correctly. Can you paste some pictures for this?

The Omada Map(topology) only shows Omada compatible devices. If that PoE switch is not Omada compatible or other brands, won't show up at all.

Options
2021-08-02 12:59:26 - last edited 2021-08-02 13:05:45

@Yannie 

This EAP WAP is connected to the MAIN_POE_SWITCH but it doesn't show up that way unless I unplug both physical devices plugged into the EAP WAP switchports.

These Clients are physically connected to the EAP WAP switch ports not the MAIN_POE_SWITCH Port 1. The EAP WAP is physically connected to the MAIN_POE_SWITCH Port 1.

The EAP WAP in the Uplink section reports (corrctly) that is is connected to the MAIN_POE_SWITCH, but back to the first picture posted it doesn't show up that way on the MAP.

You can see the MAIN_POE_SWITCH doesn't report the EAP WAP connected to Port 1 how it should be. If I physically unplug the 2 clients from the EAP WAP it will change and show up on the switch down links and the MAP correctly.

It's almost like the EAP WAP switch ports are acting like a HUB and not a switch and confusing the MAIN_POE_SWITCH on what is physically connected to it's port.

Options
2021-08-03 00:48:08 - last edited 2021-08-03 00:50:45

@Jackace 

Yeah. I see. So, this one is acting weird. I saw you have multiple EAPs that are the same models like this one. Do they have similar issues like this "troublesome" one?

Seems to be a visual bug. I don't know. But, it does not act what it's supposed to be. 

Add some thoughts.

1. Make sure that #1 port is working okay with other devices. The device plugged in, shows the device.

2. Reset? Re-adopt this one? Re-config it? Will this solve your issue?

Options
2021-08-03 01:25:36

@Yannie 

As soon as I unplug the wired clients from the EAP WAP the MAP updates and everything shows up correctly in the various uplinks and downlinks on the devices. If I plug wired clients into the other EAP WAPs they do the same thing as this one. Like I said it seems something is confusing the switch on what is connected to it's ports and the EAP WAP isn't reporting wired clients at all and instead is passing them through to the switch.

It seems part of the problem is my PC (which also has the controller installed) is one of the the wired clients on the EAP WAP. That is what is causing the EAP WAP to not show up as connected to the switch. It instead show my PC, the controller, connected to the switch. Again this all seems to be caused because the EAP WAPs don't report wired clients and instead pass them through to the connected switch.

Options
2021-08-03 03:13:32

@Jackace 

Don't know why's that. What's the Omada version? 4.4.3? Software or hardware OC?

Options
2021-08-03 03:25:26
4.4.3 and software running on my PC. Waiting for the OC200 to get 4.4.3 then I will migrate my controller to it.
Options
2021-08-19 05:36:36 - last edited 2021-08-19 05:39:18

Dear @Jackace,

Jackace wrote

With clients plugged into the switch ports the EAP-235 doesn't show up as connected to the POE switch in the Omada Controller. The EAP-235 shows up as a standalone device in the map and not connected to anything. Also clients connected to the EAP-235 switch ports show up as connected to the POE switch not the EAP-235.

To clarify, the ETH ports on the Wall plate EAP are used to provide additional wired connections. The data from the connected wired clients doesn't pass through the CPU of the EAP but is directly forwarded to the front switch via its internal chip. Therefore, the wired clients plugged into your EAP235-Wall cannot be recognized by the EAP, but show up as connected to the PoE switch.

As for the issue that the EAP235-Wall shows up as a standalone device in the map, may I check the hardware and firmware version of your PoE switch? If your switch is TL-SG2008P v1, please try the latest beta firmware provided in this post and see if it makes any difference.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-08-19 06:25:21

@Fae 

I tried that firmware. It had the same issue. Once I moved the controller off the EAP the map updated showing the EAP connected to the switch as it should. My guess is there is some weird interaction between the EAP, wired clients and the discovery mechanism for the MAP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1303

Replies: 8