Setting up openVPN using standard VPN services (Archer AX50)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-27 14:52:10
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037

Hello, 

I have been trying a few vpn services lately (currently using ExpressVPN free tier).

The only way I can set up a VPN is using L2TP which is a less modern and secure way than the standard OpenVPN. 

Is there a workaround? 

When will I get a firmware upgrade for that? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Setting up openVPN using standard VPN services (Archer AX50)
2021-08-30 03:07:14

@the_potato 

Are you referring to the L2TP/PPTP connection on the router WAN? That is one of the WAN connection types provided by the Internet Server Providers mostly in Russian, it is not commonly used for connecting to a normal VPN server, which could be encrypted. 

If you are talking about the newly adopted VPN Client feature to connect to some commonly known VPN servers, such as ExpressVPN or NordVPN, you can check the models like Archer AX20, AX21, and AX90. We don't know if Archer AX50 will add the support for VPN Client, you can keep an eye on your router web GUI/Tether app or the official website for any firmware updates.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-08-30 22:06:19

@Kevin_Z hi thanks for your reply. 

Do you think it's possible to file a request for an upgrade somehow? I just got the router and I'm kinda ok with it. so.. 

Options
2021-08-31 02:08:37

@the_potato 

I honestly do not have an answer for that. While you can still file a request to the software team on the Tether app.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-08-31 08:10:33

@Kevin_Z can you please explain how exactly?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1642

Replies: 4

Related Articles