TP Link 281 can't join existing WIFI

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-12 17:43:40
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Virgin

Really hoping someone can help, as I am a bit lost!

I have broadband with Virgin, and have one of their 'Superhubs' with WIFI. The wifi signal isn't great, and doesn't cover the whole house.

I bought a TLPA251 kit, and connected a powerline extension from the Superhub to another socket. This works fine.

I then added a TLPA281 Wireless kit to a different room.

Despite the massively confusing instructions, I've made some headway. The socket works, so I connect via a network cable. However, I just can't get the PA281 to take on the identity of the existing WIFI network. I've resorted to setting up a seperate WIFI point (SSID?), and have to swop between the 2.

Is there any way to just have the PA281 as a booster to the existing network, so I don't have to swop manually, it will just stay on the 'boosted' original wifi? And if so, how?!?

It seems to me that this is what was advertised, but I must be missing something really obvious

Thanks in advance
Options
3 Reply
Re:TP Link 281 can't join existing WIFI
2013-03-12 21:05:28
You can try to set the same channel and same security info with your root router in the TL-WPA281....
Options
2013-03-12 21:11:54
I heard that the TL-WPA281 cannot support "seamless roaming"....
Options
2013-03-12 21:42:32
I tried to set the same name as the existing network, and it just had 2 identically named networks showing! It would be really disappointing if you really can't have it as a repeater (is that the right term?)

Thanks for the replies so far
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 390

Replies: 3