Unable to Configure BSNL-EVDO Data Card (ZTE-AC8700)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-13 19:57:57
Region : India

Model : TL-MR3020

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : BSNL

I'm unable to configure my Data Card (ZTE-AC8700).
I tried with manual settings but it keeps on showing the message "connecting" but doesn't connects although my datacard is shown as identified by the device MR-3020.
I'm using BSNL EVDO connection and my datacard is ZTE-AC8700. It doesn't uses any APN, only a username and password and dial number "#777" is required to connect.
Can anyone help me in configuring my datacard with MR3020 ???
Options
17 Reply
Re:Unable to Configure BSNL-EVDO Data Card (ZTE-AC8700)
2013-03-14 21:26:53
Options
2013-05-17 14:22:00
I am having same issue with TL-MR3020 and BSNL EVDO AC8700M USB modem. From the router log, the response to a modem command is termed as 'invalid'. I have already sent the log to TP-link support for further analysis.

Region: India
router model: TL-MR3020 v1
firmware: TL-MR3020_V1_130326
ISP: BSNL
Modem: ZTE AC8700M, EVDO

The modem works fine when plugged onto PC and dialed manually. I have a TL-MR3220 v1 3G router at home which works well with this USB modem. A friend of mine is also using this modem successfully with his TL-MR3420 (although initially it did not work, TP-link support personnel sent him a beta firmware with which the problem was rectified).

I am now waiting the tp-link personnel to respond to the issue I had reported against this model. Hopefully like last time they will send a beta firmware and problem would be solved.
Options
2013-05-19 16:13:01
Finally the problem is solved.

The TP-LINK support personnel sent me a firmware file. Upon downloading the file, I noticed that it is nothing but the initial version firmware for the MR3020 router. Anyway, I flashed it to the router, reset the settings to factory default and then ran quick setup. The AC8700 modem is now working fine and connecting to the web as intended.

A few things observed:
The web UI of the router mentions only 3G, and apparently there is no support for newer 3.75G/4G modems. Maybe they added these functionality later in the firmware versions. The later firmware versions do not work with older 3G modems because either they omitted the functionality, or they did not test the latest code with older modems before rolling out the new firmware to public.

The above behavior is true for the MR-3220 3G router also, which I use at home.
So, if you need to use your older modems with the TP-LINK 3G/4G routers, try downgrading the firmware to initial versions as a first measure.

Whatever is preventing TP-LINK from ensuring compatibility of older modems with their new firmware, these kind of issues will make them lose market share, which is hardly earned till now. They do have some good hardware designs, but software is not up to the mark when comparing to other brands such as netgear, linksys etc. So development team at TP-LINK, take notice and take corrective measures as needed!
Options
2013-06-05 04:34:14

Region : India

Model : TL-MR3020

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : BSNL

I'm unable to configure my Data Card (ZTE-AC8700).
I tried with manual settings but it keeps on showing the message "connecting" but doesn't connects although my datacard is shown as identified by the device MR-3020.
I'm using BSNL EVDO connection and my datacard is ZTE-AC8700. It doesn't uses any APN, only a username and password and dial number "#777" is required to connect.
Can anyone help me in configuring my datacard with MR3020 ???
Options
2013-06-05 11:09:15
I am using TL-MR3020 and BSNL EVDO AC8700 USB modem and having the same issue.

Region: India
Router model: TL-MR3020
Firmware: TL-MR3020_V1_130326
ISP: BSNL
Modem: ZTE AC8700, EVDO

The modem works fine when plugged onto PC and dialed manually.
But when I have tried with TL-MR3020 after plugin ZTE AC8700M and providing proper settings, it keeps on showing the message "connecting" but doesn't connects although my data card is shown as identified by the device MR-3020.

TP-link support personnel, Kindly help me to short out this problem and provide me the same beta firmware which you already provided to anoopthomas as a solution of the above problem.

Thanks & Regards -

(Arnab Biswas)
Email: arnabbiswas.me@gmail.com
Options
2013-06-05 11:11:03
Hi Mohit2002, I am facing the same problem. Did you got the solution of the problem? If yes, then kindly help me.

Thanks & Regards-
(Arnab Biswas)

Email: arnabbiswas.me@gmail.com
Options
2013-06-06 09:55:27
Hi, arnabbiswas.
Since you have a username and password and dial number "#777", have you put in these information on the 3G page(Network->3G)?
If the problem still cannot be fixed, can you post the screenshot about 3G page and the system log(System Tools->System Log) of the router here?
Options
2013-07-09 20:33:28
Hi,

I am getting the same problem with my MR3020. Unable to connect internet using EVDO bsnl AC8700.

Please let me know what firmware you installed for this issue. I upgraded from TL-MR3020_V1_120817 to TL-MR3020_V1_130326.
from http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-MR3020&version=V1#tbl_j

Thanks
Navin

anoopthomas wrote

Finally the problem is solved.

The TP-LINK support personnel sent me a firmware file. Upon downloading the file, I noticed that it is nothing but the initial version firmware for the MR3020 router. Anyway, I flashed it to the router, reset the settings to factory default and then ran quick setup. The AC8700 modem is now working fine and connecting to the web as intended.

A few things observed:
The web UI of the router mentions only 3G, and apparently there is no support for newer 3.75G/4G modems. Maybe they added these functionality later in the firmware versions. The later firmware versions do not work with older 3G modems because either they omitted the functionality, or they did not test the latest code with older modems before rolling out the new firmware to public.

The above behavior is true for the MR-3220 3G router also, which I use at home.
So, if you need to use your older modems with the TP-LINK 3G/4G routers, try downgrading the firmware to initial versions as a first measure.

Whatever is preventing TP-LINK from ensuring compatibility of older modems with their new firmware, these kind of issues will make them lose market share, which is hardly earned till now. They do have some good hardware designs, but software is not up to the mark when comparing to other brands such as netgear, linksys etc. So development team at TP-LINK, take notice and take corrective measures as needed!
Options
2013-07-13 13:31:22
how did you contact the tp link support
Options
2013-07-19 18:31:43
I have purchased TP link MR 3020 Router for my Wi-fi connnection.
Iam having having a BSNL EVDO UE 100 (Prathivi) as mentioned in your compatibilty list.

But when i tried to configure in the STATUS shows
3G/4G
3G/4G USB Modem: Unknown Modem. Click here to configure the modem manually.
I click & downloaded the compatibility softtware from link as mentioned.

After that when iam Uploading the file it says :
Error code: 23000
The uploaded file is too large!

Can any one help me
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2166

Replies: 17