How can these UNITs connect to different Electrical Ring Circuits?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-18 01:11:59
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA251KIT

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA251KIT

Dear Sirs/Madams,

Currently One of our Upstairs Computers is attached via USB Belkin Wireless Device (Router Downstairs BT Network). It works fine -
but wanted a more secure connection via ethernet cable. This would means extensive external cabling or internal cabling requiring house redecoration.

We also have a very fast Virgin Media Cable Router Upstairs - for sons Gaming Computer - We did not want any other computer attached to this -
however it is plugged in to the power supply upstairs - Don't know if this could affect the use of any TP - Link units in the next room or anywhere else
in the house.

We are having difficulty in understanding How and What these Units can do.

Our Modem/Router is on an Electrical Ring Circuit on the Ground Floor - Upstairs has its own Electrical Ring Circuit - The Two are not Joined.

If the UNITS can somehow get from one ring circuit to another - then could our security be compromised by somebody plugged into a nearby
power supply in another building? The main reason from moving away from the antenna Wireless Device is that it could possibly be attacked
by someone close by - sitting in a car outside our house - Or a GOOGLE Van in the Area!

Please advise
Options
3 Reply
Re:How can these UNITs connect to different Electrical Ring Circuits?
2013-03-19 17:53:52
So you two different ISPs (BT & Virgin), right? Since you have different Electrical Ring Circuits upstairs and downstairs, I'm afraid you need to put the two powerlline adapters in the same floor. You can connect one to the router, the other to the computer and pair them for 5 seconds to get the connection.
Options
2013-03-30 23:21:19
This advice sems to go contrary to all the advice on other forums that involve networking and specific questions about ethernet over mains av devices. Pretty much everyone else says they will work across different ring mains that only connect back at the consumer unit, the only exception, maybe, being consumer units where every circuit has an rcd.

Having said that I am looking at a situation where I can't get a PA251 that I just put in our new summer house at the bottom of the garden to pair with any of three PA251 boxes already in our house and working fine - even with one of them on the same ring circuit as the summer house? Is distance a problem?
Options
2013-04-03 16:40:20
Most rings will not block the powerline data. My suggestion is to put the fourth PA251 to the same place together with other three PA251 to assure that the fourth one has successfully joined the existing powerline network.

redheadpeter wrote

This advice sems to go contrary to all the advice on other forums that involve networking and specific questions about ethernet over mains av devices. Pretty much everyone else says they will work across different ring mains that only connect back at the consumer unit, the only exception, maybe, being consumer units where every circuit has an rcd.

Having said that I am looking at a situation where I can't get a PA251 that I just put in our new summer house at the bottom of the garden to pair with any of three PA251 boxes already in our house and working fine - even with one of them on the same ring circuit as the summer house? Is distance a problem?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1067

Replies: 3