MR3020 in hotel with limited connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-19 16:20:12
Region : Singapore

Model : TL-MR3220

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I have searched on this, but cant find the answer. I travel and connect this device in the hotels. On this occasion, the hotel wired connection is limited to one device with username/password entered through the web page. Is there a way to share this connection using one of the modes to multiple devices (the devices will run in a different subnet than the hotel network). I understand I can do this in WISP mode but only for sharing hotel wireless connection. The hotel wifi has poor reception, hence I want to use wired. Is there a way to do this? I would imagine this would be not an unusual scenario in many top hotels. Mid hotels generally do not have such limitations.

Thanks,
Ed
Options
5 Reply
Re:MR3020 in hotel with limited connections
2013-03-19 17:33:50
Set up the router TL-MR3220 as an Access Point:
1. Log into the web management page of the router;
2. Secure the wireless network;
3. Disable the DHCP;
4. Connect the ethernet cable came from the wall in the hotel to any of the LAN ports on the router.
5. Connect the wireless on your laptop.
Hope these will help you.
Options
2013-03-19 17:54:27
you can select WAN Only with 3G router mode, after that, the ethernet port will be WAN port to connect the hotel wired connection and you need to config more through wireless. In order to avoid the multiple authentication, you can use the MAC clone function and replace the WAN MAC address to your own(not the wireless, should be your ethernet port address which has connect the network before)
Options
2013-03-19 23:24:33

Antonio wrote

you can select WAN Only with 3G router mode, after that, the ethernet port will be WAN port to connect the hotel wired connection and you need to config more through wireless. In order to avoid the multiple authentication, you can use the MAC clone function and replace the WAN MAC address to your own(not the wireless, should be your ethernet port address which has connect the network before)

Thanks Antonio, I was able to use this setting and it worked fine.

Thanks again.
Options
2013-03-19 23:26:38

Kelly wrote

Set up the router TL-MR3220 as an Access Point:
1. Log into the web management page of the router;
2. Secure the wireless network;
3. Disable the DHCP;
4. Connect the ethernet cable came from the wall in the hotel to any of the LAN ports on the router.
5. Connect the wireless on your laptop.
Hope these will help you.

Kelly, this will not work because it will still use hotel's router where only one device will be allowed. Also with WAN setting, I need to enable to DHCP to create my own subnet.
Options
2014-10-29 22:42:21
That's a good idea and not well documented. However, when I do that (select WAN only in 3G mode, then define wireless parameters and reboot, then connect the wire from the TL-MR3020 to the Ethernet wall socket), I get a "limited access" on my laptop and cannot connect to the Internet.

Note that I am using the TL-MR 3020 instead of the TL-MR3220 in this thread, but should be the same.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1168

Replies: 5

Related Articles