4 adapters vs the Powerline Utility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-22 17:23:16
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA551KIT

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am now have 4 adapters from the AV500 range; two with power sockets and two without.

This means that when I plug the laptop into one of the adapers I see 3 "Remote Devices".

All the device names and MAC addresses are fine but I only seem to get one valid "rate".

Typically I would see:
Device 1 ..... 200 Mbps (typical speed - can vary)
Device 2 ...... 11 Mbs (stuck at 11 Mbps)
Device 3 ...... 11 Mbs (stuck at 11 Mbps)

And sometimes:
Device 1 ..... 200 Mbps (typical speed - can vary)
Device 2 ...... ? (just a question mark)
Device 3 ...... ? (just a question mark)

The above is when the laptop is plugged into an adapter that is remote from the adapter that is connected to the router; and "Device 1" is the adapter connected to the router.

If I unplug the laptop from the remote adapter and take it to the router and remove the router adapter's connection to the router and plug the laptop into that adapter instead (ie into "Device 1") then I get speed values for all 3 "Remote Devices".

Questions:
1. What makes "Device 1" so special?
2. Why can't I get speed rates for all devices when I connect to *any* adapter??

This gives me the impression that connections between, say, device 2 and device 3 will be really slow.

(In my network it's not just about the internet connection. I have a music device that needs to connect to a NAS drive without needing to go via the internet)

Please help me understand how the powerline topology works and please reassure me that speed between adapters is just as good as between adapters and the internet.

Thanks.
Options
5 Reply
Re:4 adapters vs the Powerline Utility
2013-03-23 15:42:09
All the adapters will share the bandwidth. The more adapters you have, the slower speed you get.
I found a link here and hope it will help you:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=409
Options
How to balance the rate
2014-11-26 06:04:55
I also have four adapters and I get 10Mbit speed from one of them.
If I unplug my fastest device with 200 Mbit, the speed is increased to the remaining two, which does a boost from 10 to 30Mbit.
Is there any way to balance the rate between my four devies, so that my slowest one can get it's maximum or does it have to be "overrunned" by the closest ones?
Options
2014-11-26 14:25:43
Does your router has such a feature?
Options
My topology
2014-11-27 03:56:49

Ada wrote

Does your router has such a feature?

My network looks like this. This is floors in the house, but power cords are more complicated than this. There are different fuses on each floor.

[Rounter] <---> A. [TL-PA4110]
\
B. [TL-WPA4220] ___\ ___ [TL-PA4110] C. <-- Where I am looking.
\
\___ [TL-WPA4220] D.

I'm connected to C. I was transfering data to D. So by disconnecting B. with best rare, the transfer rate to C. and A. went went up three times.
Even if there were no traffic on B, it seams to have loaded the powerline and blocked D.

My question is if I can lower the rate on B or C to the advantage of D. Is it true that idle devices load the powerline? In that case, it's not very efficient to have more than two.
Options
2014-11-27 13:44:23
The rate between powerline adapters cannot be adjusted...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 732

Replies: 5

Related Articles