Easy way to get your powerline adapters to connect!!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-24 02:04:58
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Sky

I just wanted to post that I have been having so many problems getting the 2 powerline adapters to work. These were bought just so that i could watch on demand telly upstairs, we tried for days to pair and link the 2 together and nothing worked ( it showed no powerline connection) so we gave up!!! Then one day I tried pairing again just on the off chance that it might work and by some miracle it did but I'm not sure how it happened. Then a few days ago I somehow must have knocked something and lost the powerline connection again, we went through everything again but no luck, I then sent an email to tp link who were great and got back to me really quickly, the trouble is all the info and computer Downloads that she gave me didn't work. I was told to put the 2 adapters into the same room and then hold the pair buttons or 15 seconds and that should sort it, if not try downloading there software updates etc, that didn't work either, I then found a little hole in one of the adapters that said reset, I then thought that's it I've cracked it!!! No that didn't work either. So once again I thought of giving up!!! THEN A BRAINWAVE!!!!!! When they ask you to put he adapters in the same room they don't say to attach the Ethernet cable from one o the other, I then paired the two, it flashed and all lights came on!! I left them or a couple of minutes then transferred them to there rightful places and THEY WORK PERFECTLY!!!!
Options
6 Reply
Re:Easy way to get your powerline adapters to connect!!!
2013-03-24 19:49:56
I wish I'd read the above advice earlier! I've been trying (in vain) to get my PA211 units to pair...
The idea was to connect one unit to my broadband router, and the other to an ethernet hub for my Sky+HD box, Blu-Ray, Wii, and TV. But, I just couldn't get the units to pair, even if I plugged them into wallsockets, side by side. I tried connecting each one directly to my pc, using the utility, but, although they responded ok, I still couldn't get them to work in the desired situation.
So, I wondered whether the ethernet hub was introducing a problem, and just connected the PA211 directly to my Sky box - It worked, and that's the way I've left it,rather than risk failure again.
Not what I really wanted, but at least the Sky box now gets internet traffic ok.
If anyone can give me the reasoning behind this problem, and better still a solution, I'd be an even happier man!
Options
2013-03-25 21:49:57
I've been using 4 off Powerline PA211s (2 x starter kits) for about 18 months with no problem. When first installed them all 4 paired up straight away without problem. Unfortunately in Jan 13 one of the adaptors failed and "died" refusing to power up. Needing an extra adaptor for a new TV I ordered a further PA211KIT to take my total of serviceable adaptors to 5.
No matter how many times I tried to add the new adaptors to my existing network (using the "Pair" pushbutton on the adaptors) they simply refused to join the rest of the network. (Originals were on Ver 1.1, the new ones were on Ver 1.3)
I was on the point of returning them.

The problem was solved when I used the Powerline Utility program on my PC to see if they were visible on the network. (which they weren't) However I did notice that the utility program has an Add button, which require you to type in the unique16 digit Password from each adaptor. Once I had entered the password for each adaptor they were both recognised on the network and are now working perfectly.
Options
Re: TL-PA211 password entry - not valid
2013-03-26 00:59:15

Nigel57 wrote

... However I did notice that the utility program has an Add button, which require you to type in the unique16 digit Password from each adaptor. Once I had entered the password for each adaptor they were both recognised on the network and are now working perfectly.

Interesting... When I was struggling to get my adapters to pair, I tried the utility to "Add" the adapter, entering the 16 character password. The utility told me that the password was invalid, no matter how many times I checked what I'd entered was that written on the label! So I gave up on that approach.
Oh I do wish I'd bought my powerline adapters from a different supplier...
Options
2013-03-26 16:11:16
:cool: Caz! You are a star! brilliant idea, next time i will try by your instruction if i got disconnected.

to andyswain: be sure that when using the "add password", if you are connected to A, you add B's password into A,
A will not able to handshake with A, it needs to be B.:)
Options
Ahaaa...
2013-03-29 04:55:05

don't call me maybe wrote

:cool: Caz! You are a star! brilliant idea, next time i will try by your instruction if i got disconnected.

to andyswain: be sure that when using the "add password", if you are connected to A, you add B's password into A,
A will not able to handshake with A, it needs to be B.:)

Ahaaaa... That's probably what I've done wrong! I assumed that the pc was telling the utility to confirm what its password is. Maybe I missed that in the instructions.
Thanks!
Options
2013-04-24 17:11:05
Could someone from tech support confirm that:
1) When pairing multiple adapters in the same room/multiplug we need to connect them with ethernet cable as well?
2) When we have more than 2 PLCs, should we connect them on a switch (so that they are all connected to the same ethernet network)?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 703

Replies: 6

Related Articles