How to secure my wireless connection on additional extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-04-17 03:01:31
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WPA271

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Virgin media

Hi, I had bought a WPA271 kit, which is fine and set up with a secure connection. I have just bought another WPA271 wireless extender unit, which I want to use in the shed in the garden. I have paired it with the existing units (I hope successfully). The problem is it's not a secure connection.

I tried to get into the management utility (I am a mac user!) and have previously accessed it with a Mac (I think) but now I am unable to via http://192.168.1.1. Have added this to my DNS settings and still no luck. I am following these instructions: http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=398.

Is there another way of securing the wireless connection please? There has to be!

Thanks.
Options
5 Reply
Re:How to secure my wireless connection on additional extender
2013-04-17 15:09:13
1 unplug the other two adapters from the socket
2 unplug the third one, and plug it back to the socket. and try again to see if you can login to 192.168.1.1 or not.
3 if not, try to reset it.
Options
2013-04-17 20:50:17
Hi Sandy,

I unplugged the new unit and then unplugged the other two. Plugged them all back in.

I connected the cable from my MacBook to the new wireless TP Link unit and tried accessing http://192.168.1.1 in Safari. It does not open up. It says: "failed to open page 'http://192.168.1.1" because the server where this page is located isn't responding.

I tried connecting with the cable attached but changed to wifi and still unable to connect. Do i need to connect my cable to any of these or do it wirelessly?

You mentioned to reset it if this doesn't work. Which unit(s) do I reset? Just the new one one or all three. I'm worried that I will mess up the other two that are currently working and password secured.

All I wanted to do was to secure the connection by putting in a password in my wireless unit.

Thanks.
Options
2013-04-17 21:06:12
I may have to add another observation.

On the original kit, though it shows wifi connectivity, the network light is off. This means it is not connected to the powerline network! This explains why on the original kit, the only way we can get wifi upstairs is by connecting the ethernet able to the ethernet in the wall.

So, now, I'm back to square one. Have to get this connected to her powerline network.

Shall I reset everything? All three units?
Options
2013-04-24 15:45:25
2 unplug the new one, and only plug the new one back to the socket. the other two are still unplugged. and try again to see if you can login to 192.168.1.1 or not. If you can not login, press the reset button for 10 secs
Options
Thanks, it worked!
2013-04-24 18:14:44

sandy wrote

2 unplug the new one, and only plug the new one back to the socket. the other two are still unplugged. and try again to see if you can login to 192.168.1.1 or not. If you can not login, press the reset button for 10 secs

Thank you, Sandy, it worked. I had help from TP Link Support as my original kit wasn't set up correctly. Now it all works.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1290

Replies: 5