Dual-Cell Radio surf sticks 50% slower than on PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-01 19:21:04
Region : Ireland

Model : TL-MR3420

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP : Vodafone

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is not allowed. I do not have a TP Link router (yet) but wanted some general information first. I'm hoping some modem genius can answer me. I have a Vodafone K4605 surf stick (same as Huawei E372). It is a dual-cell radio modem so in normal conditions it will have throughput speeds twice that of a normal single radio, such as a phone or older previous gen stick. When I connect it to my PC and install the software that comes with it I can get 18Mb/s downstream. But when I connect it to my current router (draytek 2830np) I only get 9Mb/s so I'm guessing it is not using the two radios and aggregating the connection. So I have two questions. My main one is does anyone know if the K4605/E372 needs a special modem string for it to work properly, and my second is does the TL-MR3420 have this issue or could I get the full 18Mb. Also I might be getting a K5006 soon which has three radios. Would the TL-MR3420 support that also and give me 27Mb? Thanks

B
Options
1 Reply
Re:Dual-Cell Radio surf sticks 50% slower than on PC
2013-05-02 06:00:50
Hi,

The culprit is most likely the protocol used on the usb port by your router to communicate with the modem.

Most routers use PPP to communicate. PPP has high protocol overheads and limits maximum throughput to 225Mbps. There are examples of PPP halving the modem potential at speeds below 25Mbps.

Newer faster modems use faster USB protocols such as:

Direct IP, or USB to WWAN as it is now called, is a special protocol that Sierra uses to transfer data from the router to the modem via the USB port. It has less overhead than the standard PPP protocol, so it moves data faster, which increases the top speed of the modem. There are other fast protocols; cdc-ncm protocol (Huawei) and QMI (Qualcomm chipsets).

Many of these modems retain PPP protocol as an alternative and it is this protocol that is used by many routers.

There are only a handful of routers that deploy the correct protocol on a per modem basis.

TPLINK is not in that list!

There is an excellent open source solution for a number of routers HERE.

Cheers

John k
Options