TP-LINK MR3420 v1.2, 4G Possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-07-07 11:15:39
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-MR3420

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,
I did some searching here and on the net but surprisingly have not found any info so far in regards to my question.

The TP Link TL-MR3420 3G/3.75G v1 router seems decent so far and some here have mentioned good notes of it.
Due to some PC issues I haven't been able to try out my E3276 4G USB modem with it yet.
Reading the specs it seems this version is not capable of 4G as is, or not at all (?)
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-MR3420
"* 4G LTE Modems Compatibility apply to TL-MR3420 Version 2.0 ONLY."

Already took it back to the store to see if they have either v2 or the newest model which has the different space-age looking gray case, but this is the only one they have (v1)

After that intro, the question is, with v1.2, is there any possibility to use a 3rd party firmware such as Rooter/OpenWRT in order to get 4G access, or does it actually work already as-is?
Or, is this a hardware limitation such as a missing IC on the board?

Really hope there is some possibility either now, or down the road to get 4G working with this version.
I have some fair skills with soldering. I see there are no JTAG pads, so that's out. Maybe a small component to add or jumper. If it involves a large SMT IC, that's out of the question due to only having a basic iron.

Greatly appreciate any help with this. I think others may be wondering this as well, or in the future will be looking.
Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-LINK MR3420 v1.2, 4G Possible?
2013-07-16 19:14:30
V1.2 actually belongs to V1 series. So V1.2 does not support 4G. Only TL-MR3420 V2 supports 4G.
BTW, if you change the stock firmware to other third-party firmware, you may lose the warranty from tp-link. And TPLINK won't provide technical support for the devices using third-party firmwares.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 561

Replies: 1