Range doesn't extend to my new garden office, only 30 metres.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-10 22:37:19
Region : UK

Model : PL-AV200

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA251KIT

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : ???

ISP : BT Infinity

I have 4 Powerline AV200 units (bought as 2 kits). One sits under my desk and picks up the network from a switch on my desk. One is in the room next door and delivers the network/internet to our TV/Youview box. Another sits in the kitchen and delivers the network/internet to a Denon music system - used for internet radio and for playing music stored on a NAS device. Any of the 4 adapters can be used in any of those locations and they all work fine.

The 4th unit is supposed to be delivering network/internet to ,my new garden office at the bottom of the garden - about 30 metres away. The electricity supply to the office is a spur from the kitchen (which has a unit working perfectly). The power does go through a junction box which contains an RCD but that is only there for a branch that supplies pump etc for my pond, the power to the office does not pass through the RCD. When I turn it on all the lights flash - then they all come on - then the middle one (the Poweline LED) goes off.
Does it seem possible that I have gone beyond the working range of this kit? Is there anything I can do to improve things? Or is there another piece of kit that will work?.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Range doesn't extend to my new garden office, only 30 metres.
2013-05-11 16:41:39
I do not think the distance is the problem because on the TP-LINK website it says it can transfer over 300meter http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-PA251KIT.
It should be the electricity problem. It seems that your new garden is not under the same power circuit with others or the junction has blocked the data.
Options
Re:Range doesn't extend to my new garden office, only 30 metres.
2013-05-13 00:51:56
I can now tell you what the problem is. In the UK all domestic systems have a number of circuits connected to a 'consumer unit'. Each circuit is connected through a fuse (old fashioned) or an rcd type device.

On my setup the TP-Link unit that receives the network/internet is connected on the same circuit to one other unit and the TP-Link utility reports that as operating at 80-100% quality and up to 182 Mbps. A unit in another room in the house but on a different circuit is reported as 0-20% quality and 6Mbps. Barely usable though physically it is no further away than the other unit. The one that isn't working and isn't reported at all by the TP Link utility is one the same switch as this unit but some 30 metres away.

Having used the TP-Link utility on all 4 units to set them to the same network name I can also report that the one in the garden office says it is working (all three lights lit and flashing) but not reported by the utility and connected devices not visible on the network.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 831

Replies: 2

Related Articles