WiFi boost

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WiFi boost

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WiFi boost
WiFi boost
2021-09-24 14:51:42 - last edited 2021-10-14 12:26:22

Hi,

I am looking to boost my wi-fi signal for a small holiday complex, about 300msq, and was wondering what equipment would be best suited. There’s 12 cottages with thick stone walls, one of them has a new phone line installed with standard (plusnet) router. I am able to install an antennae if needs be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WiFi boost-Solution
2021-09-27 20:32:29 - last edited 2021-10-14 12:26:22

@ShaneAF 

Hey

Hopefully this helps :)

So let's say i bought AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Indoor/Outdoor Access Point. I just plug that into my router, attach to chimney (for example) and that would give me some signal over a certain range, is that right?

It is indeed..  the EAP225 Outdoor will start to broadcast in all directions for as far as it can.    You can then position other APs (EAP225 Outdoors again) to repeat this signal as far as needed. 

i would then need something like AX3600 Wireless Dual Band Multi-Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point in one of the cottages to extend the range? Or a second AC1200?

Go for the same EAP225 Outdoors, stick to these for this setup.  Dont mix home and business grade hardware.   The EAP225s will talk to each other in a MESH setup

Would i need a hardware controller?

Yes you would need a hardware controller plugged into the switch where the first AP is, the controller will handle the management of the MESH, SSID and APs..    Something like the OC200 is cheap and will do the job 100% 

Below is what you are looking..

The AP is yellow will be connected to the OC200 as the root. 

The links in green will be the devices connecting to the Hops (repeaters) then via BLUE to the Root..  Hope that makes sense!

Once you have the ROOT AP adopted in the OC200, the other APs will appear as Mesh Devices (make sure you enable mesh in settings) and then adopt them via a wireless connection..   It will repeat and re-broadcast the SSID further.. rinse and repeat! 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:WiFi boost
2021-09-25 16:23:36 - last edited 2021-09-25 16:24:24

@ShaneAF 

The problem is likely to be the distance you are covering, if its 300 sq meters then most Access Points will only cover around 100m in any direction before needing repeated.

Your best options are either an Omada Mesh Network, or a CPE based network

If you go for an Omada mesh then basically have something like the EAP225 Outdoors as your ROOT (Main) AP and wirelessly connect the other APs off this, you could have an AP at each cottage if that is possible? 

Basically the ROOT AP can handle traffic to the 1st HOP, then it can transmit to the 2nd Hop and so forth..   if you have a central cottage use the STAR setup and that might be better..  More info here..  https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2283/

Other option a Pharos CPE based system, something like the CPE510.   CPE is basically a huge high power AP that can hammer distances over 10km so 300m is a breeze..  set 2 or 3 of them in AP mode around the place all talking to each other and they can services clients in the local area also.   More info here.   https://www.tp-link.com/us/cpe/wisp-solution/

Whatever you choose just bear in mind that APs are stronger than Clients.. you may see the WiFi broadcast at 150meters but clients are unlikely to have the power to reply and therefore it wont work.. .  spread your APs out for blanket coverage at 80m ranges.

I would look at the Omada Outdoors Mesh first if honest.

Options
2021-09-27 10:29:09 - last edited 2021-09-27 11:27:46

@Philbert Thank you,

So let's say i bought AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Indoor/Outdoor Access Point. I just plug that into my router, attach to chimney (for example) and that would give me some signal over a certain range, is that right?

i would then need something like AX3600 Wireless Dual Band Multi-Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point in one of the cottages to extend the range? Or a second AC1200?

TIA

Options
Re:WiFi boost-Solution
2021-09-27 20:32:29 - last edited 2021-10-14 12:26:22

@ShaneAF 

Hey

Hopefully this helps :)

It is indeed..  the EAP225 Outdoor will start to broadcast in all directions for as far as it can.    You can then position other APs (EAP225 Outdoors again) to repeat this signal as far as needed. 

Go for the same EAP225 Outdoors, stick to these for this setup.  Dont mix home and business grade hardware.   The EAP225s will talk to each other in a MESH setup

Yes you would need a hardware controller plugged into the switch where the first AP is, the controller will handle the management of the MESH, SSID and APs..    Something like the OC200 is cheap and will do the job 100% 

Below is what you are looking..

The AP is yellow will be connected to the OC200 as the root. 

The links in green will be the devices connecting to the Hops (repeaters) then via BLUE to the Root..  Hope that makes sense!

Once you have the ROOT AP adopted in the OC200, the other APs will appear as Mesh Devices (make sure you enable mesh in settings) and then adopt them via a wireless connection..   It will repeat and re-broadcast the SSID further.. rinse and repeat! 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-28 10:22:16
thank you for your help
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 627

Replies: 4

Related Articles