Votes

Connecting a OneMesh router to my existing router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-07 02:15:51 - last edited 2021-12-09 10:06:41

I have an ISP-provided fibreoptic router that I don't want to replace.

I want to use OneMesh to create a single new SSID throughout my house using a OneMesh router and some extenders. I don't really want to use the routing functions of the router because I want to retain my ISP's router.

My questions are:

* If I use a OneMesh router connected via ethernet cable to my ISP router will I get problems with double NAT?

* Can a OneMesh router even be set up in this manner?

* Once connected in this manner, can I disable the wifi on my ISP router and just use the SSID created by the OneMesh router?

Thanks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Connecting a OneMesh router to my existing router
2021-10-07 09:37:20 - last edited 2022-01-05 07:57:09

Xenoprimate wrote

I have an ISP-provided fibreoptic router that I don't want to replace.

I want to use OneMesh to create a single new SSID throughout my house using a OneMesh router and some extenders. I don't really want to use the routing functions of the router because I want to retain my ISP's router.

My questions are:

* If I use a OneMesh router connected via ethernet cable to my ISP router will I get problems with double NAT?

* Can a OneMesh router even be set up in this manner?

* Once connected in this manner, can I disable the wifi on my ISP router and just use the SSID created by the OneMesh router?

Thanks.

@Xenoprimate 

OneMesh can only be available if the device is in router mode - OneMesh FAQ - Q8.

Hence:

- You'll introduce a double NAT in your LAN (it's up to your LAN setup to have problems or not).

- No, OneMesh could be built only if the TP-Link device is in router mode (excluding modem routers - OneMesh FAQ - Q7).

- You can disable ISP router's Wi-Fi and have only your TP-Link router's OneMesh wireless network.

You can set the ISP router in bridge mode and use your TP-Link router as main router avoiding double NAT.

Or if you want to keep the ISP device as a main router you can set up a DMZ to your TP-Link router IP address and disable ISP router's wi-fi.

This will solve the potential double NAT issues introduced by setting up the OneMesh.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 618

Replies: 1

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.