Votes

Deco app missing "Internet Speed Test"

Votes

Deco app missing "Internet Speed Test"

107 Reply
Re:Deco app missing "Internet Speed Test"
2023-08-11 01:02:52

What I find really bizarre is that I use the same Deco app to manage two mesh networks - one M9 based, one XE75 based.

The M9 has the feature.  The XE75 doesn't.  

Options
RE:Deco app missing "Internet Speed Test"
2023-08-11 11:26:15
i had 3 M9 Plus and loved the "Speed Test" Then i got a X75 because i have 1000/1000mbit and i needed the Wifi6/6E performance. Now the speed test is gone, and i can't "easy" see if its the ISP thats the problem or my setup. I dont have a laptop, and my Main TP link is not near the ISP modem. Here's the reason why they did what they did. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/603532
Options
2023-08-11 16:32:36

@Povlie yeah it's strange though, their reasoning is misleading–it doesn't provide a solution. 

The Deco Lab is just doing a speed test to your native wireless or wired device. If you are wireless, then you have multiple points of failure and interference to test the speed of your provider. You can try to get around that by plugging in, but if that's the case, you don't need Deco Lab (any speed test will do). And it doesn't matter since all but the Wifi 7 TP-Link have 1Gbps ports. You'll never be able to test beyond 1Gbps unless the native device has a way to report... which everything seems to do except TP-Link. 

P.S. - If you have a phone or tablet with USB-C, you can get a USB-C to ethernet plug to test. Just make sure you buy the USB 3.2+ version that can do over 1Gbps speed. I have an Anker one that does 2.5Gps for about $20. 

Options
2023-08-12 02:31:04

@bradyjfrey the thing that @David-TP was referring to was something else, but he perpetuated the false info that the app still has `Test internet speed` when it isn't. The fact is this thread has been here for almost a year and TPLink is not listening. This was a very valuable tool and Starlink hardware has it. I think my only choice now is to no longer purchase TPLink products and no longer recommend them. My only thought is that OOkla charges some sort of license fee to have the feature in the app and TPLink  didn't want to pay it.

Options
2023-08-14 07:15:08 - last edited 2023-08-14 07:19:08

Just bought a X50 5G and was very disappointed to discover internet speed test was removed. A very poor decision to remove an important part of the admin app - please re-enable it or allow users to install iperf themselves on the hardware.

And YES - we want speedtest done from the router so we can test the WAN-interface speed and so we can test it remotely.

So first they moved the test tool from the main interface to Deco lab ("beta" for 5 years now...). There is no reason to move such a basic and essential function to a "beta" section.

What is even more silly is that then they removed it from the Deco lab entirely.

But what really takes the price is that they now has a link in the Deco lab saying "Download our Wifi Toolkit" if you want speedtest. The wifi toolkit is exactly the same app as deco lab, only it has the speedtest activated. And they turned it into a kids game. Are 7 year olds now running Tp-link?

Options
2023-08-22 02:27:40
Xe75pro missing key benchmark speed tool. Are there any plans to add speed test function
Options
2023-08-22 02:29:36
Speed test needed on xe75pro
Options
2023-08-26 23:23:35
I used this feature constantly to test the speed im getting from my ISP which is also where i work. It was nice to be able to verify that the customer is getting what they paid for. Now i upgraded to the xe75 pro and the feature is gone. Please put it back!
Options
2023-08-30 11:13:34
This is a key function to diagnose internet speed issues
Options
2023-09-29 01:53:49

Zolteg wrote

@Justin8207 +1 for this.  I've had this feature in the past and it's been immensely useful in working through issues with my telco.  

I don't understand how this can just be removed without considering the effect on people who've already bought their units.  

That is what is worst of all, I paid for a router with a speed test, now it doesn't have one, I don't see a check from TP link (or think just adding back the service).

I can wirelessly connect via openspeedtest to my Synology NAS running a VM at 700/800mbps via 2 Deco, but I don't have a way to connect on a wired connection, other than my Deco (until I drill through the main bedroom and connect my NAS to the Deco that is hard wired just to shut Verizon up), and my 300/300 connection doing 290/70 is not caused by WiFi.

@Zolteg 

Options

Voters 82

+ 78 Voters

Tags

Test Internet Speed