How to check ping/latency

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-14 16:37:32
Model: TL-WR840N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.17 V0001.0 Build 201124 Rel.64328n

I wanted to know how to check ping/latency via the tp-link web interface. What ip address should I type in the diagnostic section of the web interface, my ip address or my default gateway's ip ? I am confused. Thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:How to check ping/latency
2021-11-14 19:38:01

@RogerThat21 

Hi,

There is no particular IP address you have to type. It depends on what information you want to gather.

For example, if you just want to check whether your router is connected to the Internet, then you can enter the address or hostname of any server on the Internet, like www.tp-link.com.

Or if you wanted to check the connection to the server that hosts your favorite online game, then enter the IP address or hostname of that game server.

Options
2021-11-16 11:33:48

@woozle Thanks for the info. Need a little more help if you may.

For e.g. when having issues with my internet connection the isp customer service guy does a ping test on my laptop(via anydesk) for the default gateway & my router.

On the last 2 tests done he said that the ping for my router is jumping high every now & then & pointed a router issue. He suggested to reset it which I already did 2 days prior but guess it didn't help.

But when I do the same ping test on the tp link web interface through my mobile I get perfectly fine pings of less than 1ms. So how can it be a router problem. Are both the test same or different ? Although the test on the laptop has simultaneous ping tests of both the default gateway & my router & I can only test one of them at a time using the web interface on my mobile.

Also can it be a power issue ? For e.g. my last router malfunctioned & seems this one too is breaking. I have connected its adapter to a 6A socket while the input rating on the adapter is mere 0.3A. So can that be an issue? But other than the 6A socket there is a 1A normal socket as standard in my country so then guess no router could work with an input rating of 0.3A. I don't know how it works, just guessing. Could the power be an issue ?

Thanks.

Options
2021-11-17 16:17:36

@RogerThat21 

I don't think power would be an issue. If the electrical power was unstable, then you might see the router restarting itself every now and then.

Whenever your Internet connection issues occur, do they occur on your laptop and mobile simultanously?

If only your laptop computer is experiencing issues, then maybe there is something wrong with your laptop's Wi-Fi.

Can you connect the laptop computer to the router via Ethernet cable and check if the problem happens as well?

Options
2021-11-20 21:33:09

@woozle 1) Yes whenever the issue occurs it happens both on my mobile & laptop.

2) When I connect the laptop via ethernet to the router there are no issues.

3) The issue is with the wifi hotspot of the router. I replaced the router with another router and didn't face any internet issues at all. I resetted the tp link router but no solution. What should I do ?

Options
2021-11-21 01:47:29

@RogerThat21 

If all works fine with another router model, then check if you can return the TL-WR840N.

You could also try if upgrading the firmware to the latest version makes any difference. (some regional TP-Link websites offer a newer version for the TL-WR840N(EU) V6 that "Fixed some bugs", according to the release notes)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 596

Replies: 5

Related Articles