UDP support for VPN Client with OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-11 23:08:40
Model: Archer AX90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20210903 rel.39200(4555)

Hi,

From my testing it seems the AX90 will not connect UDP OpenVPN tunnels but TCP works fine.

I have found similar cases from internet research.

Are there any plans to add UDP support and also possibly add WIreguard support?

Thanks

Options
11 Reply
Re:UDP support for VPN Client with OpenVPN
2021-12-13 08:48:04

@Pro4TLZZ 

Hello, can I confirm which VPN server were you trying to connect to by making the AX90 a VPN Client? Did it fail to connect to the server? What was the error message?

Regarding Wireguard support, there is currently no plan for it on the AX90, which only supports OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP/IPSec VPN.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-12-13 22:44:57

@Kevin_Z 

Hi I was connecting to a proton VPN server. Using a openvpn client on my same desktop with the same config file I could connect fine.

There was no connection error but it would just stay stuck at connecting and nothing would appear in the logs.

I wonder if using VPN server and UDP at the same time causes this issue

Options
2021-12-14 02:03:17

@Pro4TLZZ 

Thank you very much for getting back with the detailed information. Can I ask one more question that is the network layout as ISP modem---AX90---PC? Is there any other switch or extension?

We would like to escalate your case to our engineers, the engineering team will investigate to see if it is a concern in the router that can be resolved.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-12-14 05:59:36

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for looking into this.

I don't have a modem.

My ax90 is the first network device in my setup.

The devices I was using for testing VPN client speed from the router were actually connected to a 1Gb 8 port unmanaged switch which is capable of that speed 

I'll test devices not on the switch and see what happens

Options
2021-12-14 08:30:41

@Pro4TLZZ 

I see. So that is the ISP cable going into the WAN port of the AX90 directly, no modem, right? Even though I personally think that would not make a difference by connecting a switch to the AX90 LAN, but you can test that by removing it if that is not troublesome. Thank you.

Options
2021-12-14 08:37:06

@Kevin_Z 

Yup isp fttp - rj45 -> ax90

Options
2021-12-14 08:53:57

@Pro4TLZZ 

Thank you. Please let me know if it makes any difference by removing the switch from the AX90.

Options
2021-12-14 09:15:23
Thanks. Just tested and speeds connected directly to the router are 37mbps down and 34.63mbps up with the VPN client enabled. So a slight difference from the other day but I imagine this is server variance.
Options
2021-12-17 09:53:45

@Pro4TLZZ 

So does this means you set up the VPN Client successfully after removing the switch from the network? Great to know that.

Regarding the speed when connecting via the VPN Client, 37mbps down and 34.63mbps up for a speed between the VPN Client on the home wireless router and the VPN server is not bad. Apparently, the router CPU's can't handle the VPN encryption as fast as a computer with the app can. When you create an encrypted tunnel between the router and the VPN provider, that will add overhead to the processer/resources of the router, which would cause a drop in performance which also means a drop in WAN to Internet throughput.

You can also compare the speed of the VPN Client on some other home wireless router if that is possible, you might get similar results. Cheers.

Options
2021-12-17 09:56:55

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, removing the switch had no effect.

UDP OpenVPN still won't connect and speeds are the same on TCP as you mentioned

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1850

Replies: 11

Related Articles