TPLink Switch throttles Internet traffic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-13 04:49:02 - last edited 2021-12-14 02:20:08
Model: TL-SG1008D  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version:

SETUP DIAGRAM:

Deco M5 (Router) - > SG1008D -> Laptop = max WAN speed capped to <100mbps (92mbps approx)

Deco M5 (Router) - > SG1008D -> Laptop = recorded LAN speed > 100 mbps (300mbps approx)

Deco M5 (Router) -> Laptop = recorded WAN speed > 100mbps (450mbps approx)

Deco M5 (Router) -> Laptop = recorded LAN speed > 100 mbps (300mbps approx)

Hi,

So here is the issue: when I add a new 8 port unmanaged switch from TPlink to my network, weirdly my WAN speed connection does not cross 100mbps; however, I am able to transfer files from one PC to another at speeds of approx 300mbps (I am using CAT6 cables and it shows there is no issue with the cabling).

If i remove the switch and connect directly to the Main deco or one of the nodes, i am able to receive my full WAN speed of approx 450mbps and transfer files across the network at around 300mbps. 

There is something wrong with the switch where it is throttling my internet speed but not local transfer speed. Since its an unmanaged switch I am not able to diagnose the issue by looking into the settings. I think installing DDWRT would solve my issue, but if you guys have any idea please let me know.

thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TPLink Switch throttles Internet traffic-Solution
2021-12-13 14:54:24 - last edited 2021-12-14 02:20:08

@WadeWilson 

Sounds like a problem with the switch or Ethernet cable between switch and Main Deco.

1. Try connecting Ethernet cable from Main Deco to different switch port. Also, try different Ethernet cable, if you haven't yet.

2. If your Main Deco is connected to ISP Router, you could try to run speed tests with that switch, but without Deco:

ISP Router - > SG1008D -> Laptop

3. Install firmware 1.6 beta on Main Deco M5. That firmware will alert if Deco negotiates less than gigabit on its Ethernet port. That will not pinpoint to exact cause of a problem, but will confirm if issue is with Ethernet speed negotiation between Main Deco and switch. See [New Firmware] Deco M5 1.6.0

---------------

On a side note: 300Mbps transferring speed across the LAN, through gigabit switch, seems too low. You may be hitting limitations on PC performance, or perhaps on quality of Ethernet cables you are using. For example, im my house which is wired quite a long time ago, with Cat 5e cables, I can routinely reach 600Mbps-700Mbps on transferring single large file from file server to desktop equipped with SSD drive, through gigabit switch.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:TPLink Switch throttles Internet traffic-Solution
2021-12-13 14:54:24 - last edited 2021-12-14 02:20:08

@WadeWilson 

Sounds like a problem with the switch or Ethernet cable between switch and Main Deco.

1. Try connecting Ethernet cable from Main Deco to different switch port. Also, try different Ethernet cable, if you haven't yet.

2. If your Main Deco is connected to ISP Router, you could try to run speed tests with that switch, but without Deco:

ISP Router - > SG1008D -> Laptop

3. Install firmware 1.6 beta on Main Deco M5. That firmware will alert if Deco negotiates less than gigabit on its Ethernet port. That will not pinpoint to exact cause of a problem, but will confirm if issue is with Ethernet speed negotiation between Main Deco and switch. See [New Firmware] Deco M5 1.6.0

---------------

On a side note: 300Mbps transferring speed across the LAN, through gigabit switch, seems too low. You may be hitting limitations on PC performance, or perhaps on quality of Ethernet cables you are using. For example, im my house which is wired quite a long time ago, with Cat 5e cables, I can routinely reach 600Mbps-700Mbps on transferring single large file from file server to desktop equipped with SSD drive, through gigabit switch.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TPLink Switch throttles Internet traffic
2022-02-12 20:19:44

@Alexandre. 

Sorry for the late reply, issue is with the Deco router. Its not able to identify that the switch is gigabit and defaults the LAN speed to 100mbps. Since its an unmanaged switch and the router doesn't have a feature to select Duplex speed, there is no workaround.

I have already received a replacement switch from TPlink and have tried resetting the Deco/ buying new CAT6 cables but to no avail. Raised another request with the tplink team to return the switch.

I hope your team is aware of compatibility issues with your own product line @TP-Link 

Options
2022-02-13 14:31:45

@WadeWilson 

This is strange. I have similar model, 5-port switch TL-SG1005D, and Deco M5 runs gigabit through it just fine. I even use quite old CAT 5e cables.

I would have never thought that 8-port switch SG1008D behaves differently from 5-port switch SG1005D.

Options
2022-02-13 16:17:21

@Alexandre. 

So, I have a 300Mbps up/down FTTH connection. I get about 290 mbps on the main router (the provided cable is Cat6). When i use the Deco with a 1043ND v3 acting as a switch (loaded with ddwrt), it maintains the same 290mbps across all LAN ports. The issue with this setup is that the re-purposed router is only 5 ported. 

When I tried using the new 8 port switch from TP-link, i noticed 2 things. First, the internet speeds across all LAN ports are initially 293mbps on LAN. However, overnight the speed reduces to 93mbps across all LAN ports (only new 5 feet CAT6 amazonbasics cables used ). Secondly, very noticeable latency across all devices, both LAN and wifi. I frequently used to get DNS not responding errors from windows diagnostics plus websites would take sometimes 30 secs before proceeding to load the page (not speed related, but latency/dns related)

I ruled out DNS issues because the ddwrt router is able to handle the same config of the Deco without any problems. If only the Deco had some functionality to set the LAN speeds, it would help greatly in that case. Regarding the latency issue, that is something I have no idea what the issue is. 

Options
2022-02-14 00:55:34

@WadeWilson 

Looks like yours is not a fluke: forum post Deco M5 and TP-Link TL-SG1008D Switch Problems from 2018 confirms that strange discrepancy between TL-SG1008D and TL-SG1005D, when it comes to Deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1245

Replies: 5

Related Articles