SOme problems with latest firmware on AX72 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-23 14:27:02
Model: Archer AX72  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20211027 rel.72596(4555)

Noticed some problems with your firmware.
1. Device is taken from the box and configured in router mode. I can access and manage it. But when I switch it to the AP mode, management IP is not retained, I can see that it is trying to get IP via DHCP and if I have no HCP in my network I simply can't access device over the wire. Is there any way to retain management IP when switching from the router mode?
2. Ok, now router is in AP mode and I'm able to access it when it gets IP from the DHCP. But then again - if I set device to use manual IP and not the DHCP, it seems that there is no option to specify DNS server and because of that router simply can't access internet as it can resolve IP. Need to fix this too.
3. Wifi schedule function. Is there any way to use minutes in scheduling or use different schedules for different radios like Netgear routers can?

Options
5 Reply
Re:SOme problems with latest firmware on AX72 router
2021-12-23 23:35:37 - last edited 2021-12-25 13:09:13

@Rimvydukas 

1. When the device is switched to AP mode it defaults to Smart IP(DHCP) - here's a detailed description on this feature.

Retaining the device management IP address in AP mode may result in IP address conflict with the main router LAN IP address.

2. When the device is in AP mode its logical behaviour is to relay the DHCP server/DNS requests/responses from/to any wireless clients to the main router.

This way having a separate DNS setting in AP mode is redundant, thus this setting is inactive:

Nevertheless there is an option to have the DNS settings available in AP mode (when for some reason there's no DHCP service/DNS from the main router in the LAN):

Pretty much all wireless routers which are with the "new logo" interface and AP operation mode embedded have these options available.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-24 14:20:11

@terziyski 

Hi,

I want to thank you for your help and clarifications. But lets clarify this a litlle bit more:)

1. Worst thing is that such things are not mentioned in manual at all, to be exact what will happen when I switch the router to AP mode. Because of that I could only guess what am I doing wrong when I was not able to access my router after mode switch as I was trying to configure it with direct attachment via the wire. I was only able to understand what is going on when I swithed on the sniffer on this direct connection. Now lets go a little bit further. Lets imagine, that I switched router to Ap mode and as you are saying router turned on Smart DHCP mode. What P will it get? I've tried 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 without any luck. And I'm not sure that smart DHCP mode was working correctly as I saw neverending attempts from the router to get IP from DHCP for itself. And I still think that retaining management IP would be the better choice as I initially configure my routers by dirrect attachment, and such behaviour broke everything and I was not able to access the router after switch to AP mode:( Tplink must understand, that not everyone leave their routers with default IP addressess or try to do initial configuration by plugging the router in the network.

2. Now lets pretend that the router is in AP mode. I have DHCP server turned off completely on this router. It is working mainly as the switch/bridge. I have management IP set manually on the router as I newer use DHCP for management IPs on my network devices. So now there goes my major question - how can I specify DNS server for the router itself in such case? Router needs to solve NTP servers, tplink update servers, maybe my local clients. How will it do such things without DNS server specified?

3. And one more very interesting thing. While I scaned this router which was in AP mode, I saw, that it has freely available built in and perfectly working DNS server which can use anyone. Such thing may be a security hole sometimes. So my question - is there any way to disable this built in DNS server?

Options
2021-12-24 15:22:18

@Rimvydukas 

1. I agree that TP-Link should do some improvement in their documentation. A lot of these details are learned rather from practice than from the documentation.

I've seen devices management IP assigned to 192.168.0.254 when switched to AP mode to avoid IP conflict with the main router which may well be 192.168.0.1, though I am not sure if that's the case with AX72.

If you take a look at the AX72 user guide - Chapter 4.4 - Set up the router a s AP - Step 3 you'll see that after switching the device to AP mode it is suggested to connect to the main roter so the Smart IP (DHCP) can get an IP address.

I also configure my devices before introducing them to my network as you do, but many others don't.

2. As I mentioned in my first post - since AX72 is switched to AP mode there's no need to set DNS manually on its LAN interface - it will use its gateway (your main router) to send/receive DNS requests even with its DHCP server set to OFF.

Here's the official guide for configuring a wireless router in AP mode. In case of AX72 you should use Case 1.

3. I am not aware of such built in DNS. Can you please give some more details on your finding, so the TP-LInk representatvives can share their thoughts.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-25 10:07:57 - last edited 2021-12-25 10:21:47

@terziyski 

Hi,

1. I think that there is no point to discuss here. I still think that documentation is not clear in this place and I still think that such behavior (on mode switch) is not right as in my case I was not able to configure my router at all to which I was directly attached. Even my browser (when I switched the mode) has redirected me to tplinkwifi.net page where was clear instructions to connect to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 IP address:). But it is as it is at least I know what to expect from this mode change and I think that I'll write a suggestion for Tplink to change a documentation at least. 

2. My dear friend. Everything is not so simple as it could look. Not everyone has a network from only two devices. As in my case, this AX72 is connected to a switch. And my gateway (which AX72 is using) is not a DNS server for sure. So what do you suggest me in that case?:)  How can I specify DNS server in such case? As for now I use IP which AX72 gets from my DHCP. It seems it is able to use DNS which is specified in DHCP lease configuration but I do not like this solution as I do not wat to use auto assigned IP address for my network device.

3. Now regarding DNS. Scan results show:

PORT    STATE SERVICE
53/tcp  open  domain
80/tcp  open  http
443/tcp open  https

So I've tried to connect to this DNS, tried to solve some IP and everything was working. As my device is not the DHCP server I want to be able to disable this DNS as DNS servers may be security holes in some specific situations, especially not patched ones. But AX72 interface shows nothing regarding this DNS.

Options
2021-12-25 12:41:46

@Rimvydukas 

1. You already made your point - I am pretty sure that TP-Link guys will read through your suggestions.

2. That's a good point when your GW is not your DNS.

I also use the DNS which is specified in the DHCP lease and to mitigate this I am using an Address Reservation on my DHCP server.

The only way to specify a DNS is to turn the AX72 DHCP server ON, which is not an option.

You could file a feature request for this functionality here:

3. This one should be addressed by TP-Link.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2084

Replies: 5

Related Articles