[RE450] Ethernet gets IP address but no internet (found workaround but TP-Link SHOULD FIX IT!!!)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

[RE450] Ethernet gets IP address but no internet (found workaround but TP-Link SHOULD FIX IT!!!)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-27 23:41:58 - last edited 2021-12-28 01:06:25
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 210531 Rel.34858n (6765)

Every devices connected to the extended WiFi network are able to access internet fine.

However, any PC or laptop connected to the GBe ethernet port on extended has no internet at all.

Some facts:

• The router is TP-Link AC4000 (so TP-link you have no excuse.)

• Tried both PC and laptop. Tried both Windows and Linux. No luck.

• All of the devices connected to the ethernet port gets IP fine (192.168.0.xxx). It is NOT able to ping the router gateway IP (192.168.0.1).
    • It is able to ping the extended IP (in my case it's 192.168.0.162) though.

• I'm able to ping the device IP (192.168.0.xxx) from another computer not connected to the extender. 
    • I'm even able to access remote desktop of the device behind extender.

• The device (192.168.0.xxx) obtained this setup from DHCP automatically:
    • IP: 192.168.0.xxx
    • Gateway: 192.168.0.1

• Surprisingly, IPv6 works like perfect on this device behind extender (I could access ipv6.google.com fine)

My workround:

• Go to router, ensure LAN IP range is set to 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199

• Go to extender, enable DHCP and ensure LAN IP range is set to 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.99

Now my device behind extender gets internet.

My biggest concern, say I need to give this extender to someone else who has no technical background (I happen to have some experience with TCP/IP of about 20 years.), or it's some other TP-link customer who has no clue about this IP settings, how are they able to use this product? 

Ultimately it's for TP-link's good since you don't want tons of returns/refunds, right?

Options
1 Reply
Re:[RE450] Ethernet gets IP address but no internet (found workaround but TP-Link SHOULD FIX IT!!!)
2021-12-28 23:18:49

@wxh 

I have been speaking with you through email today but wanted to address your thread as well.

Ethernet on a range extender, working in range extender mode, should be a plug and play senario for your client device.  This is how you, being a customer would assume a phyiscial connect would work. However the range extender as with most APs, range extender do not typcially apply IPs to the client.  This is normally done by the router or whichever device is providing IP addressing for the network.  Also for maximum compatiblity a range extender will change the header of the client's MAC address.  This happens regardless if its connected to the extender wired or wirelessly.  Often when this concern happens its because of a ACL or access control feature that in enabled on the router, like MAC filtering.  Because its a router feature issue, even if its a TP-Link router, we would not normally write a FAQ for such a issue.  FAQs normally are written to address common concerns or specific features such as setting up OneMesh or configuring via the Tether app.  For unique concerns or concerns that are not common we normally will have customers work with support directly.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 556

Replies: 1

Related Articles