Transcend StoreJet undetected by Archer AX6000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-02 01:53:44 - last edited 2022-01-02 02:33:45
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20210719 rel.18941(4555)

I have bought the TP-Link Archer AX6000 yesterday
one of the reasons I have bought this router is because it has usb 3.0 ports that can be used for the purpose of storage sharing.

I have connected my 
Transcend StoreJet TS2TSJ25H3B 2000GB

to the UsbA port,

and then clicked in the router web ui on
"SCAN"
But it gave me the error message:
"No USB storage device found. Insert one into a USB port on your router and try again."
So I retried - connecting my hd via a usb-usbc adapter

to the UsbC port, clicked on "SCAN" once again, but I got the same error message.

To verify that the HD is in good shape, I have attempted connecting it to my laptop and I was able to see it's contents without any issues at all.

The HD's singular socket looks like a
usb micro b data cable.

Here is how the plug looks like:

Not sure what should I do to make this work, is it possible that the router is not providing enough power for the HD to be identified?

I'm reading the HD label, it says:
Input DC +5V===0.9A

is that compatible with what the Archer AX6000 is able to produce when connecting devices to it's usb sockets?

--------------------------------

I would ssh to my router to extract some logs to send you over so you can examine the error, but I'm not sure how to do that.

My firmware is

1.0.3 Build 20210719 rel.18941(4555)

but I see that a newer one is already available (even though when I click check for firmware upgrades it says nothing, maybe the new one is not stable enough to be considered yet?)

Archer AX6000(US)_V2_211118

Published Date: 2021-12-09

Should I upgrade to the newer firmware? is it expected to fix the USB detection bug?

Is this a known issue? is there some known method that makes detecting my HD by Archer AX6000 possible?

If you have stumbled upon this issue, and know a fix - please share in here with me!

Thanks and happy new year!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Transcend StoreJet undetected by Archer AX6000
2022-01-02 02:00:06 - last edited 2022-01-02 04:02:44

@AmazingMiki 

Just realized that indeed it is the power:

What should I do if TP-Link router cannot detect my USB flash drive or hard drive

"""

4. Additional Power Adapter

Usually our router can power up the hard drive, but for some, additional power supply may be required.

If your hard drive needs a power supply more than 500mA, but it does not have an additional power adapter, then this hard drive can not work properly with our routers since ours only provide 500mA power supply on the USB port.

"""

Indeed my HD requires 900mA , which is 400mA above what the router provides according to that link.

I should find some way to provide the HD with an additional power supply, no idea how to google that yet.

Update:

I found some usbc hub laying around that has a usbc power socket,

so I connected a phone charger to it's power socket,

the HD to a usbA socket

and then I connected the hub to the router

only after a restart to the router it was able to recognize the HD, but it did

unfortunately 80% of the content (folders and files) is unrecognized by the router - I only see a few folders but the rest are missing

its a single partition of 2 TB if that matters anything.

Uodate2:

Speeds are super slow, sometimes it just crashes (meaning the 1 second ago available share becomes unavailable anymore) even the web ui freezes, as soon as I disconnect the HD the router works as normal again

Options
2022-01-04 12:22:36

@AmazingMiki 

Glad to hear the HD has been recognized by the router successfully after powering it on by an additional power socket.

Regarding the folder display issue, can I confirm the below?

1. How did you access the HD when attaching it to the router?

2. How many media files (images and videos) or folders are in this HDD? Can you see all the folders when it is attached to the computer directly?
3. What is the format of this HD?

Regrading the speed or crash issue, do you mean the router will crash once you insert the HD to the USB port of the router or when you try to copy a file from or into the HD?

Options
2022-01-05 21:46:12 - last edited 2022-01-05 21:47:30

@Kevin_Z 

I think the phone charger gave it too much power, made the router unresponsive unstable.

Accessed via smb and ftp, it's ntfs. Saw only 3 folders when it had 20 in fact.

I changed the power supply to be the other secondary usb3 port of the router, it gave it just the right amount and now it's working perfectly fast and stable through smb and ftp and I can see there 100% of the original content no issues.

Only issues is media share via DLNA, I am able to view only 3 directories and no contents, non of them have media in them and those that do contain audio video and pictures are not one of the 3 I am able to browse using DLNA.

Browsing using LG Smart TV.

Options
2022-01-09 12:19:32 - last edited 2022-01-09 12:19:50

@AmazingMiki 

DLNA was resolved as well eventually.

Originally, when I connected the bad power supply and only 3 folders were visible in smb,

I think that's exactly when DLNA saved that kind of data

so when the correct power supply was connected and smb was fixed - DLNA was not refreshed and the old bad data remained.

not 100% sure which of those voodoo actions forced DLNA to refresh, because I did them before to no effect (a shame there isn't a force-refresh DLNA button in the ui)

but this is what I did:

toggle off some random folder from being shared under the partition (recycle bin)

toggle off Media Share (DLNA)

toggle on Media Share

and then it re-populated 100% of the partition's contents, finally!

I have no further issues with the AX6000 usb storage anymore, a bit of a shame I had to voodoo my way around to activate hidden features instead of just clicking them directly.

I hope these UX problems are fixed before the next meaningful versions for future clients. but right now that's no longer my problem : ) hope it remains like that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 692

Replies: 4