Is restricting the Bandwidth with QoS (Bandwidth Control) always good (Gaming, in my case PUBG)?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is restricting the Bandwidth with QoS (Bandwidth Control) always good (Gaming, in my case PUBG)?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-11 18:05:34 - last edited 2022-01-11 18:11:42
Model: TL-SG105E  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

My connection: VDSL 85 megabit/s downstream & 40 megabit/s upstream. My Router has no QoS. It uses a DS-Lite-Tunnel.

Saw a lot of videos (Youtube: John Glasscock) that QoS can make the overall quality better (Reducing BufferBloat).

And that Bufferbloat can cause problems. For example that you need a lot of Bullets (too many) for a kill at online shooters.

That was and still is my problem in PUBG!

So I bought that Switch.

My results before at dslreports were always bad. For Overall, BufferBloat and Quality a B, D and B.

I only had to restrict my Bandwidth a bit (10%...in the videos they say 30-50%) to get a perfect speedtest result at dslreports...now A+ A+ A+ (always).

I thought nice...perfect!

But in the game I see no difference!

And now in other forums they tell me "Bandwidth control" with QoS is not good!

Specially not for gaming. And when only when the Badwidth is fully used! Only then Bufferbloat can be a problem. they say those speedtests are nonsense!

Ok maybe...but for me that sounds not logical. Noone uses the Bandwidth allways at 100%! And when something is good when the Bandwidth is fully used,

why it should not be good, when you only use a part of your Bandwidth?

And here in my case that would mean a bad Speedtest at dslreports is better for me when it comes to gaming than a good result!?

And I heard QoS should not be good for the Router? Uses much of the cpu of the Router?

I'm really confused now. I only wanna do my best to have a good connection. And i don't wanna have a disadvantage at PUBG because of my connection.

And a subquestion...what QoS Mode should I use "port bases", "802.1P based" or "DSCP/802.1P Based"?

Sorry, but I can not find something good online about all this. Either nothin or confusing things!

Hope someone who really knows something about this can help me!

Thank you.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Is restricting the Bandwidth with QoS (Bandwidth Control) always good (Gaming, in my case PUBG)?
2022-01-13 11:22:35 - last edited 2022-01-13 11:23:26

@AI3 

You've already done the simplest setup that's recommended when the device doesn't support Smart Queue Management (SQM) algorithms - Bandwidth Control.

TL-SG105E supports Bandwidth Control on top of its QoS. By default its QoS is set to "DSCP/802.1P Based". If you want to go further you can fiddle with QoS.

But in the end you have to experiment with different settings to find your sweet spot - there's no definitive procedure for that.

I don't know if after making all these tweaks your gaming experience will improve or not but it's worth trying it.

Here's a basic guide on how to mitigate the bufferbloat:

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/
Here's some details on QoS:

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/More_about_Bufferbloat/#what-s-wrong-with-simply-configuring-qos

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Is restricting the Bandwidth with QoS (Bandwidth Control) always good (Gaming, in my case PUBG)?
2022-01-13 18:20:05

@terziyski

Thank you for your reply! I read everything (your Links).

You used the word "fiddle"...I only restrict the bandwidth a bit in QoS (not even 10%) and now I always get an a A+ A+ A+ result @

dslreports. So I don't know what you mean with fiddle? Only plugged the cables in, restrict the Bandwidth a bit, that's it. 1 minute...done!

I only wanna know if those Speedtest results mean anything? Or does that mean nothing? Specially when it comes to Gaming?

Or is it maybe better to do not use QoS from my Switch? Should I leave it as it was? But then I will get again bad results nonstop @ dslreports

like B D(or even F for Bufferbloat) B! For me that sounds weird, cause that would mean bad Speedtest results at that site are better for Gaming!

Better than with my Switch!?

You talked about SQM...when I set it to "Port based" in "QoS Mode" there you can set "Priority Queue"...would that be good? Or something totally different!

I just wanna know what to do...use my Switch or not...use QoS & Bandwidth Control or not? Don't wanna do things which are maybe not good for PUBG.

Just try to optimize everything here for Gaming '(PUBG)!

But of course I understood that SQM would be better right!

I ask so much cause other people in forums told me things like forget everything about bufferbloat, that Test means nothing, you don't have bufferbloat!

You don't need a Switch....al crap....they just wanna sell products!

Options
2022-01-14 00:31:29

@AI3 

SQM is more efficient than QoS regarding bufferbloat, but this feature is with limited support (you don't have such hardware).

By fiddling I've meant configuring "Port Based" QoS mode and experimenting with different priorities.

You should keep in mind that the function of QoS only works when the network congestion happens.

In general these tweaks should be configured on your gateway (your router).

Using an intermediate switch (TL-SG105E) will have limited effect - only on the devices connected to the switch.

Any other devices in your household directly connected to your router will bypass the tweaks, thus making them pointless.

As I wrote you've already set what's recommended when you don't have SQM or QoS configured on your gateway - Bandwidth Control.

So my advise - leave it like you've already set and just enjoy your favorite game.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-01-15 09:13:10

@terziyski 

Thanks! But Bandwidth Comtrol has no negative effect on Gaming?

And the clearly better results in the Speedtests at dslreports have no meaning?

Just wanna know...has the Switch with setting Banwidth Control an effect on Gaming or not?

Better with or better without Switch? When better with Switch bandwidth control or not? Only

thing I know is that the speedtests are much better now A+A+A+.

Options
2022-01-15 10:35:26 - last edited 2022-01-18 02:50:44

@AI3 

Keep the settings you've done - Bandwidth Control no negative effect on gaming.

In your case you have improved the speedtest results which should have positive effect as a whole, including gaming.

You may not feel the difference while playing but the dslreports has sensed that and shows an A+ rating.

If you're interested to know how QoS works you may read through this article:

https://packetpushers.net/how-does-qos-work/

Options
2022-01-18 01:55:25 - last edited 2022-01-18 01:57:57

@terziyski 

Thanks for that answer! Just wanted to make sure I do nothing negative here for Gaming. And thanks for the hints which would be even

better than QoS! Here in the forums of my country they wanted to convince me that QoS is always bad for Gaming, they said it's kind

of queuing which is never good for Gaming! And they said those Speedtests mean absolutely nothing! So thanks for your replies! I was

afraid that I might feel no big difference with the switch & QoS settings...but long term I might lose more fights @ PUBG without even

noticing it!;)

But I leave it now like that...thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 973

Replies: 6

Related Articles