Same Internet Name and Password for Deco Mesh Network as Orginal Network, Bad?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Same Internet Name and Password for Deco Mesh Network as Orginal Network, Bad?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
23 Reply
Re:Same Internet Name and Password for Deco Mesh Network as Orginal Network, Bad?
2022-01-13 19:10:29

@Alexandre. 

Sigh! I don't know what is going on.

I set up the first one no problem.

The second one could not connect. The two additional nodes flashed yellow then red. I moved one node even closer to the main Deco.

The app said it could connect, then I saw all three "online" but now I only see my phone "online" but none of the Decos which are all on solid green.

My new network signal is strong and I did give it a new name.

I don't know what is going on.

Options
Re:Same Internet Name and Password for Deco Mesh Network as Orginal Network, Bad?
2022-01-13 19:13:00 - last edited 2022-01-13 20:52:04

@Alexandre.

See below

Options
2022-01-13 19:16:56

@Alexandre. 

Actually I was reading the Deco App interface incorrectly. *face palm*

All three Decos are online and GREEN!  So this is good!

Now, what?

Options
2022-01-13 21:39:55 - last edited 2022-01-15 02:21:40

@JasperCat 

If you have seen all three nodes online in Deco app and they have green LED, the rest should be easy.

• Power on Main Deco. You should have it connected by Ethernet cable to Xfinity router.

• Bring Satellite Deco nodes to their permanent locations, where you want them to be. Power them on there, wait till their LED is green and Deco app reports them online

• Change Deco Operating Mode to Access Point, you can do that in Deco app under More/Advanced:

• Connect smartphone with Deco app to Deco mesh SSID. Verify smartphone is connected to Deco SSID and has Internet access

• Turn off Xfinity router WiFi. Disable WiFi on Xfinity router. Choose the right time to do that: all your wirelessly connected devices will lose Internet. Your smartphone that was connected to Deco SSID should stay connected to Deco SSID and should still have Internet access. Verify it does have Internet access. Take a pause of about 5 minutes to make sure all your wirelessly connected devices realized they've lost WiFi connection and it is not just a blip.

• In Deco app, for Main Network, change its SSID/password to what you have on Xfinity router. If done correctly, your smartphone will reconnect back to that SSID and most (if not all) wireless devices will connect to that SSID. If few won't, you'll need to reconnect them manually. If you have all devices not reconnecting automatically, verify your smartphone is connected and has Internet, meaning you didn't accidentally make typo in SSID/password combo.

• Your home WiFi signal is now provided by Deco mesh. If you've got to this point successfully, it means mission completed.
Options
2022-01-13 22:20:32

@Alexandre. 

OK, when you say "turn off Xfinity router" do you mean enable bridge mode or literally unplug the thing and plug it back in?

It's a combo modem/router.

Options
2022-01-13 22:26:39

@JasperCat 

I should have worded it better. I meant to say: "Disable WiFi on Xfinity router." 

No other changes are necessary on Xfinity, and do not change Xfinity to bridge mode. It will still be working as router, but with its WiFi off.

Options
2022-01-13 22:28:01

@JasperCat 

Also updated another step for clarity: "Power on Main Deco. You should have it connected by Ethernet cable to Xfinity router."

Options
2022-01-13 22:33:20

@Alexandre. 

Oh! I thought bridge mode was the only way to turn off the WiFi.

Other than that, I don't know how to turn off the WiFi on this thing.

Options
2022-01-13 22:36:58

@JasperCat 

See if this can help: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hide-disable-in-home-wifi

Options
2022-01-13 22:37:12
Would it be terrible if I just kept it this way? Two WiFi's? I notice that it does slightly reduce the other WiFi but still good.
Options
Related Articles