Connecting a Switch into a Deco Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-24 13:23:38
Model: TL-SF1005D  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm looking at making the move over to a Mesh network, but given my set up at home I'm going to need a switch within the system to provide enough LAN ports for the hardware that I have that isn't wifi enabled.

I've been trying to ensure that this is possible with the Deco Mesh devices, but the non of the information I've found seems to directly cover this issue.

Pages like this; https://www.tp-link.com/uk/mesh-wifi/ focus solely on the wifi extensions.

While this; https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1794/ covers using a switch in an ethernet backhaul set up, but also allows for both setups of Router -> Switch -> Mesh and Router -> Mesh -> Switch.

Essentially I'm looking for details on how to configure a switch into a Wifi Backhaul mesh network to provide those extra LAN points.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Connecting a Switch into a Deco Mesh
2022-01-25 05:28:17

@Jontia Thanks for the question. I also too have a similar predicament.

I have zeroed in on the TL-SG3210 gigabit router of TP-Link. Have got the Deco M9 Plus in place. Have Airtel broadband and Jio Fiber in place.

I was wondering if we can use the SFP port to connect Airtel and Jio fiber to the TL-SG3210 simultaneously and connect the main Deco to one of the Rj45 port in TL-SG3210.

That way TL-SG3210 can do load balancing  from Airtel and Jio fiber to see which one is available and has the best speed at any point of time and route it through the decos across the place. Not sure if that will work. Let me know please if you find out something.

The problem with M9 Plus is however my main deco is at one end of room and every deco keeps connecting to main deco rather than searching for the nearest deco. which kind of makes deco at one end of house very slow. Wish they could give something to choose as per our own or to leave it auto.

Options
Re:Connecting a Switch into a Deco Mesh
2022-01-26 09:13:51 - last edited 2022-01-26 09:14:08

@Jontia 

TL-SF1005D is plain unmanaged switch and it just need to be connected to one of the two Deco's ethernet ports.

Then you'll have more ethernet ports available. Check this thread for more details on similar scenario.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options