Mixing X90 and X60

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mixing X90 and X60

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mixing X90 and X60
Mixing X90 and X60
2022-01-30 20:31:55 - last edited 2022-02-10 20:25:05
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Bought the X60 (3 pcs) yesterday and installed. Working fine, but I need one more router to get decent Wi-Fi in a second building. 

Today I bought the X90 (2 pcs) to see if that would be enough, but I still need one extra unit. So four in total.

I didn't see any improvements in speed on the X90 vs X60 (threaded back haul, 500/500 line), but coverage was better with two X60 on the first floor. 

As I see it, these are the options:

1. Return X90 and buy one more X60 (or possible three; almost same price currently)

2. Return the X60:s and buy two more X90. 

3. Keep both the X90 and the X60:s. 

With current pricing the money is not a factor  for these options. I did notice that I seemed to have more options In QoS, parental controls etc on the X60 than the X90, where it looked like I needed to purchase a subscription?

I have option to have threaded back haul for everything inside the main house, but not the second one. On the other hand, I don't have high requirements there, but maybe the wireless backhaul of the X60 will affect the whole network?

We may possibly get a third house to add a deco to, but that would be about a year in the future. 

Main drivers for me is stability, coverage and ease of use ("fire and forget"), throughput performance is not as important (what I have today already surpasses my needs by far). 

thoughts/comments? What am I missing here? Can I mix X90/X60:a? Should I? Or should I opt for one model - and if so, which one (4 X90 vs 6 X60:s). 

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Mixing X90 and X60-Solution
2022-01-31 13:17:28 - last edited 2022-02-10 20:25:05

@Snedvridenpanda 

I can't speak about add-on feature specifics for different Deco units, as I run my Deco mesh in Access Point mode, but I can speak about hardware.

You can mix X90 and X60, but you shouldn't. Whatever one you prefer, X60 or X90, opt for one model. Long story short, with networking gear, it is always good to have consistent hardware. 

I would recommend X90 if you have (or plan to have) Satellite Decos using wireless backhaul. X90 is tri-band, that makes difference for Satellites wirelessly connected, even if you haven't noticed it now. You buy Deco hardware to last few years, and in few years you might get more demanding WiFi devices, and this is where Satellite Deco speed could make the difference.

Also, X90 is the most powerful Deco WiFi6 hardware TP-Link currently has, and for networking gear as long as your budget allows it - there is no such thing as too powerful hardware. 

I would recommend X60 for potentially better WiFi coverage, especially if most or all X60 are wired and use Ethernet backhaul. With WiFi mesh, having more mesh units deployed is better, even if each is less powerful. As long as they are wired.

Also, more units adds resiliency: if single Deco unit experiences hardware failure, with four X90 you potentially lose up to 25% WiFi coverage, with six X60 - just 15%. Of course, if you live in area with same day Amazon delivery, the point is moot. 

---------------

Speaking about features. When you have WiFi mesh with performance exceeding your expectation, QoS becomes a gimmick. QoS is necessary to bandwidth throttle devices in an environment where network can't handle all devices at once.

Be also aware that parental controls are practically useless with current Deco firmware. They are based on device MAC address. Any modern smartphone with MAC address randomization will bypass them. TP-Link has not provided ETA to address that.

If you need WiFi mesh for parental controls, you should return Deco and look for different brand, and check specifically how they deal with MAC address randomization. Not every brand of WiFi mesh already addressed that issue.

In case QoS and parental controls are features which are not necessary for you, and if your Deco mesh is connected to ISP Router (not just modem), I would recommend switching Deco mesh to Access Point mode, for maximum performance and maximum flexibility in how you can wire Deco units. See What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco? and How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Mixing X90 and X60-Solution
2022-01-31 13:17:28 - last edited 2022-02-10 20:25:05

@Snedvridenpanda 

I can't speak about add-on feature specifics for different Deco units, as I run my Deco mesh in Access Point mode, but I can speak about hardware.

You can mix X90 and X60, but you shouldn't. Whatever one you prefer, X60 or X90, opt for one model. Long story short, with networking gear, it is always good to have consistent hardware. 

I would recommend X90 if you have (or plan to have) Satellite Decos using wireless backhaul. X90 is tri-band, that makes difference for Satellites wirelessly connected, even if you haven't noticed it now. You buy Deco hardware to last few years, and in few years you might get more demanding WiFi devices, and this is where Satellite Deco speed could make the difference.

Also, X90 is the most powerful Deco WiFi6 hardware TP-Link currently has, and for networking gear as long as your budget allows it - there is no such thing as too powerful hardware. 

I would recommend X60 for potentially better WiFi coverage, especially if most or all X60 are wired and use Ethernet backhaul. With WiFi mesh, having more mesh units deployed is better, even if each is less powerful. As long as they are wired.

Also, more units adds resiliency: if single Deco unit experiences hardware failure, with four X90 you potentially lose up to 25% WiFi coverage, with six X60 - just 15%. Of course, if you live in area with same day Amazon delivery, the point is moot. 

---------------

Speaking about features. When you have WiFi mesh with performance exceeding your expectation, QoS becomes a gimmick. QoS is necessary to bandwidth throttle devices in an environment where network can't handle all devices at once.

Be also aware that parental controls are practically useless with current Deco firmware. They are based on device MAC address. Any modern smartphone with MAC address randomization will bypass them. TP-Link has not provided ETA to address that.

If you need WiFi mesh for parental controls, you should return Deco and look for different brand, and check specifically how they deal with MAC address randomization. Not every brand of WiFi mesh already addressed that issue.

In case QoS and parental controls are features which are not necessary for you, and if your Deco mesh is connected to ISP Router (not just modem), I would recommend switching Deco mesh to Access Point mode, for maximum performance and maximum flexibility in how you can wire Deco units. See What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco? and How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Mixing X90 and X60
2022-01-31 22:13:46

@Snedvridenpanda 

They say all Decos are compatible with each other, but speaking from personal experience, they are not.

You can connect them, but you will lose a lot of your speed.

So if you can buy same model, do that.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options
2022-01-31 23:16:22

Thanks @Alexandre for the response!

I opted for the X90. I must have been very quick in my test before, because now I have only one installed, and I have decent Wifi throughout the house (2 floors). I ordered another two so four in total, I think that will be more than enough to cover the whole house (including the second one, where I do need wireless backhaul). 

So far so good. :) 

Options
2022-01-31 23:17:12

@Momcho Thanks! I suspected as much myself. Opted for the X90, and so far it seems really good. Returning the X60:s tomorrow. 

Cheers, 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 639

Replies: 4

Related Articles