Amazon devices insist on connecting to Deco furthest away

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-01 16:29:42
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

Hi,

I have 3 Deco X20's, one on each floor of the house. The one in my top floor office gives me a great signal for my laptop, desktop, phone etc. but all of the two  Amazon Echo devices on the same floor insist on connecting to the Main Deco on the ground floor despite a Deco being within a few feet. The result is they regularly have connection issues. To verify it was due to being connected to a Deco 2 floors away I moved them both downstairs to the main Deco and they work perfectly.

My question is, how to I force the device to connect to the Deco nearest to it that's providing a great connection and not to the one 2 floors away that's giving it a poor connection? Makes zero sense and defeats the objective of an expensive mesh setup.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Options
6 Reply
Re:Amazon devices insist on connecting to Deco furthest away
2022-02-01 17:12:36

@HawkEye100 

At this time there is no way to assign a client to a specific node.  The Deco system will scan the network environment and choose the best node for each client.  If its choosing the main unit as the best node then it may be that the remote node's connect to the main unit is not showing as stable as the main unit on its own. It could also be that the Alexa connected to the main unit before it saw the remote node. 

You can try the network optimization tool  and you can also try to forget the network name on the Alexa and reconnect from its current posistion.   

Options
2022-02-01 17:54:45

@Carl thanks for the quick response

I tried stepping up the Echo from scratch after deregistering it, it just defaults to the Main Deco on the ground floor. It doesn't make sense, every other device I bring up to the office connects to the office Deco, iPads, laptops, desktops, phones. Why would it be that the Echo doesn't? I wonder if its a limitation of Echo?

Would be really useful to be able to choose the Deco devices link to, seems like it would solve many issues. You say not possible at this time, are there plans to introduce the functionality? 

Options
2022-02-01 20:41:58 - last edited 2022-02-01 20:42:36

HawkEye100 wrote

My question is, how to I force the device to connect to the Deco nearest to it that's providing a great connection and not to the one 2 floors away that's giving it a poor connection?

@HawkEye100 

It is  possible that Amazon Echo considers WiFi signal quality from Main Deco X20 two floors away an adequate, and doesn't bother to look for nodes with better signal. To address that, you may need to artificially worsen Main Deco WiFi signal quality for Echo specifically, so that this device will prefer a different Deco node.

I can suggest two options:

1. Force Amazon Echo use 5GHz only. WiFi 5GHz from Main Deco won't reach Echo device two floors away. 

I am not very familiar with Echo WiFi configuration, but if it does not allow to specify WiFi band - turn off 2.4GHz for Deco Main Network. 

2. Add WiFi signal interference, in the direction between Echo and Main Deco.

For example, put Echo device on a thick metal tray. Perhaps, few layers of household aluminum foil placed under Echo will be sufficient. Google which materials are worst for WiFi signal penetration (a.k.a. WiFi shielding materials) and experiment with them. The objective is to weaken WiFi signal quality between Echo device and Main Deco enough for device to prefer different Deco node.

Options
2022-02-02 09:10:30

@Alexandre. Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good one. I gave it a go following the steps below:

• Turned off 5GHz 
  • Made an aluminum tray out of foil and put the Echo in it next to the Deco in my office (2nd floor)
  • Rebooted the main Deco
  • Echo appeared offline in Deco app although all other device in office were connected to the Deco in office and retained an acceptable connection speed
  • Rebooted Echo and selected the Deco network from the remembered network. It said it was connected although was not working/responding
  • Checked the Deco app and the Echo appeared as offline
  • Re enabled 5GHz, rebooted main Deco and within a minute or two Echo connected to the main Deco on the ground floor with a patchy connection I've always had. All other devices in office connected to office Deco with a great connection

The only conclusion I can draw is Deco X20 mesh isn't compatible with Echo devices. It feels like a simple fix would be to allow users to select the Deco they want a specific device to connect to, this is a feature I have seen in other mesh systems

@Alexandre again, thank you for your advice and suggestion. As a household who use Alexa to manage smart home features I think the only solution is to upgrade mesh WiFi to a more feature rich platform eero I would guess.

Options
2022-02-02 14:04:22

@HawkEye100 

It makes sense to try different brand of WiFi mesh, if what I suggested didn't work, perhaps Echo can work with different WiFi mesh better. There is no one WiFi mesh that works for everyone.

There is another option, but only if you do really like Deco mesh and reluctant to replace it. Your other brand mesh might support Echo better, but may have issues in different areas. With that in mind, and only if you really, really want to keep Deco, here is another option for you to consider.

Get standalone WiFi router, if you don't have extra one at house - buy the cheapest one you could find. Connect it to one of Ethernet ports of upper floor Satellite Deco, configure router to run in Access Point mode and with SSID different from Deco mesh. Make Amazon Echo devices connect to that SSID.

Options
2022-02-04 15:51:11

@HawkEye100 

I haven't heard of any plans but we did add it to the suggestion sheet we send to the team every month.  It has been requested several times so the team is aware and hopefully will add it.  I just can't say for sure. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 794

Replies: 6