NAT Forwarding on a PPPoE connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-03 11:16:49
Model: Archer C60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20201231 rel.39772 (5553)

I have a static IP address on a PPPoE connection, but I have been unable to NAT forward any TCP/UDP ports for my VoIP device.

I've setup the relevant rules that enable the relevant ports for the specific IP address on my local area network, but the ports remain closed when I use the Open port Checker tool.

What am I doing wrong with my router's settings, or is NAT forwarding not possible on a PPPoE connection?

I would appreciate any help this forum can provide.

Thanks in advance.

Options
8 Reply
Re:NAT Forwarding on a PPPoE connection
2022-02-03 15:18:00

@AMathew 

NAT is quite possible with a PPPoE connection.

Make sure that your internet IP address is public:

Private/reserved IPv4 addresses are those within the following address ranges:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255

If its private then opening ports on your C60 won't take effect.

This depends on if you have any ISP device before your C60 or your ISP infrastructure.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-02-04 04:40:46

Thanks for the prompt response @terziyski

I have a static/public IP address (103.165.xx.xx), which I'm able to access from beyond my local network.

I've tested opening/closing ports using the Remote Management Feature (System Tools->Administration->Remote Management) by toggling enable/disable remote management, and by changing the Web Management ports - besides the default port (80), I even used a port (6800) that I had disabled in my NAT forwarding list.  I have confirmed that the relevant ports open/close using the Open Port Checker tool.

Unfortunately, the rest of the ports in my NAT forwarding list remain closed - there must be setting(s) on my Archer C60 that I have misused.

Any clues to solving my dilemma?

Thanks!

Arvind

Options
2022-02-04 05:22:11 - last edited 2022-02-04 05:32:02

@AMathew 

There's nothing special in here:

That's an example opening the control port for the FTP service on C60 to a device with LAN IP address 192.168.1.100.

Usually when there's no active service on the port which is forwarded, online apps would report port closed.

That means you're probably forwarding the wrong port/protocol or forwarding to the wrong target LAN IP address.

That could be easily checked by configuring a DMZ to the IP address in question - the following example means all ports forwarded to the LAN IP address 192.168.1.100:

If after configuring DMZ to your host and the online app reports port 'open' then you should consider reviewing the ports/protocols or IPs that should be configured in Virtual Servers menu.

DMZ configuration should be kept enabled during the tests only.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-02-04 05:32:21

Thank you @terziyski 

What you have explained in your example is exactly how I've setup my NAT forwarding table.

I wasn't aware that online apps would report a port closed if there was no active service on a port.

I'll try the DMZ approach as a test, and as you suggest, I will turn off DMZ as soon as I'm done.

One final question - how would I reconfirm the correct port and protocol, from the manufacturer of the device I'm trying to connect? I'm pretty sure I have the correct IP Address.

Thanks again!

Arvind

Options
2022-02-04 05:45:18 - last edited 2022-02-04 05:47:27

@AMathew 

I am pretty sure that in the device user guide (checked on-line if necessary) there would be a description of the ports that have to be opened.

If still have trouble finding this info, just contact your device or service provider to confirm the ports/protocols in question.

Options
2022-02-04 05:50:06

Thanks @terziyski 

DMZ didn't work either - I think the VoIP device I'm trying to connect may have problem.

I'll setup an FTP server on my computer to confirm that my router is following its NAT forwarding instructions correctly.

Thanks again.

Arvind

Options
2022-02-04 05:54:49 - last edited 2022-02-04 05:57:02

@AMathew 

Yes, that will be a good test if everything else is working as it should.

You could build a simple WEB server for that test - it should be even easier.

If you insist to check that with FTP server - refer to this thread for guidance.

Options
2022-02-04 05:56:18

Thanks for teh assistance @terziyski 

Arvind

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 881

Replies: 8

Related Articles