OpenVPN connection is slow using the router as server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-04 12:13:15
Model: Archer AX72  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20211124 rel. 47313

Hello,

I set up OpenVPN server on my new AX72 with UDP protocol. The ISP gives about 700/300 Mbps speed on fiber that is working at home properly. But, if I use the VPN connection from outside via cell network or other fast internet access, I cannot get higher speeds than 8.5 Mbps, neither down, nor up.

Is there a hardver related reason for that? Shouldn't this device perform better?

Options
1 Reply
Re:OpenVPN connection is slow using the router as server
2022-02-05 18:41:32

@Simion 

Apparently OpenVPN requires quite a lot of processing power, relative compared to other VPN protocols.

But 8.5 Mbps still feels too low for an AX72. Even my older AX50 manages about 15 to 17 Mbps.

Have you maybe enabled some features on your router that use up additional processing power? Like Traffic Monitor, QoS or some Parental Controls?

And how did you measure the transfer speed? Using an Internet speed test like www.speedtest.net?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1786

Replies: 1