TP link 5 port switch not forwarding frames when not directly connected to router.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP link 5 port switch not forwarding frames when not directly connected to router.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-05 03:57:39 - last edited 2022-02-08 00:57:52
Model: TL-SG105  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello! My PC is not getting IP address, Its getting IP address only when switch is directly connected to router. I am not getting IP address when switch is not directly(indirectly) connected to router.

Working flow:- 

PC(bedroom ethernet) ---> TP Link switch is in main cabinet (laundry room) ------>  Direct cable from switch to router( living room) 

Non-working flow:-

PC(bedroom ethernet) ---> TP Link switch is in main cabinet (laundry room) ------> Kitchen ethernet connected on switch ( Cable running from kitchen to cabinet) ----> Cable running from kitchen jack to router. Not sure why switch is not able to forward frames in this scenario?  There is connectivity from router to kitchen and kitchen to switch 

Cable lights are up, I could see PC is sending DHCP packets out but no response coming back. Please help

I dont want to run a long cable from my main cabinet to living room, So decided to run short cable from router to kitchen ethernet jack and Kitchen ethernet jack has running cable to switch. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP link 5 port switch not forwarding frames when not directly connected to router.
2022-02-05 18:18:21 - last edited 2022-02-08 00:57:52

@Par098 

That's usually a physical connectivity issue. Given your description the joint connection ( kitchen jack ) is probably the culprit.

If you use an ethernet cable tester you should be able to confirm that.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:TP link 5 port switch not forwarding frames when not directly connected to router.
2022-02-05 19:43:05 - last edited 2022-02-08 00:57:52

@terziyski yeah even I thought the same at the first, but kitchen jack is just fine I tested with ethernet cable tester works fine and also I am able to get IP address when I connected my PC to kitchen jack so that rules out its not an issues with kitchen jack.

I am able to IP address only when there is a direct connection from switch to router

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 640

Replies: 2