Votes

Web UI Configuration

Votes

Web UI Configuration

318 Reply
RE:Web UI Configuration
2023-11-20 02:31:51
Please allow more advanced configurations on the web interface. Such as forcing 2.4 or 5Ghz connection, choosing which AP to connect to and locking a device to it, and all of the current features of the app.
Options
Re:Web UI Configuration
2023-11-20 19:31:50

@TP-Link It's not really acceptable to suggest that your customers can solve their problem by purchasing yet another piece of equipment that consumes more power, takes up more space, and does nothing for them that the equipment they have already purchased can do. This is not a sufficient answer to the question of why TP-Link chose to intentionally software handicap their own product.

Options
2023-11-20 19:43:38 - last edited 2023-11-20 19:45:12

@TP-Link

It's not like your customers are asking for something extraordinary. What we are asking for is standard router features that have been a standard part of routers for decades.  It's been part of TP-Link's routers forever, but you intentionally took it out of this product.

If you're going to sell a router that doesn't have standard router features, it is incumbent on you to inform your customers ahead of time that you're selling an incomplete product so that they can make an informed decision, rather than finding out after the fact through a forum that they have a brand new, but broken product.

Options
2023-11-20 20:03:41

@TP-Link Nothing like trying to translate things from a Word/Excel doc to the app using a small screen - where it's hard to have things side by side. This should be a top priority, not we don't think so unless there is pushback. Had I known this before buying the system I would not be using DECO at all. This is the biggest reason I do not recommend DECO to anyone in my friends/family network and when they ask why, well, here's your answer.  Sometimes I need my router up next to another app with IoT devices. This makes it so hard to do.  Even my IoT devices have a better interface then this measly offering you give us where I can only view things.

Options
2023-11-26 23:48:33

@TP-Link I cant believe I purchased and installed before I read this posting.

Im an idiot :(... 

1.  uninstall

2. put stuff back in place

3. return Deco

4.  kick myself

Options
2023-11-29 18:54:42
Damn, I just up the Deco and thought I made some mistake in not finding the basic setup on the Admin webpage. Funny that there is an "Advanced" page but no basic settings capabilities! I like the product itself but I guess it needs to go back with a proper customer review. TP-Link Product Managers: Note the discussion here - customers are talking about a pain point - time to prioritize and fix the issue.
Options
2023-11-30 00:36:04

@Ozofcali they have made it clear that they want this to be, and remain to be a dumbed down version of a  network app, and they will NEVER have a real web interface for deco models

you need to move to a different brand, there are plenty that do it the right way..

Options
2023-12-03 22:09:19

@TP-Link How can you flat-out say 99%?  Do you really try to cater to that level of customers?  I just find it hard to believe that Grandpa Bob is buying a Deco XE75 Pro like I tried to do a week ago.

Yet another disappointed customer that will be boxing back up this amazing hardware with less-than-expected software and support in favor of my 7 year old WiFi access points still using an old version of WiFi.  My EnGenius WAPs may be old but at least they had the foresight back then to add basic/standard support for configuration of network products.

I mean seriously guys...

You built a NETWORK product, and you make the config for the product require an android/ios device?  What about users who buy this, have no smartphone and no tablets?  I mean, since we are basing your entire argument on 99% of your customers being monkeys that have no IT experience ...  Then it would be reasonable to assume that a large portion of these users don't have smart phones or tablets.  Maybe people just wanted to buy this to connect their laptops, tvs, and lights?

Options
2023-12-03 23:27:52

@armega (Sarcasm on)

I am an old fogie but need a whole-home wifi solution. I purchased I nice Deco system but neither my Jitterbug phone nor my wife's Easyfone will install the app necessary to configure the system. Is there another way to set up the system? The WIFI system I have now just needs me to hop on the computer and use a web browser, which does not seem to work with the Deco system I bought. What should I do?

Signed, 

Grandpa Bob

(Sarcasm off)

Options
2023-12-05 09:13:16

First, thank you @TP-Link for actually asking for your customers opinion - especially after purchase. Most companies don't care once they have your money.

Many who have commented so far have said that they would not have purchased your product if they knew there was no comprehensive web interface to manage it.
I agree for many reasons:

• It's easier to type on a keyboard,
  • It's easier to use multiple tabs to research solutions to problems,
  • It's easier to see the interface in a browser if you have vision issues,
  • It's easier to see a range of related options all at once in a well designed web interface.
  • It's easier for your web designers to develop an interface that is as simple or as complex as the user requests or requires.
  • To not provide a web interface could be deemed to be ableist: disadvantaging users with vision, movement, and other perception issues.

Of course, I would also like extra features not currently offered in the phone app:

• Matter/HomeKit compatibility would be nice, and
  • I'd like to be able to allow the guest/IoT network access the local network if I deemed it necessary.

Thanks for asking the question and considering my answer.

Merry Christmas!

Mikey.

Options

Voters 174

+ 170 Voters