Votes

Web UI Configuration

Votes

Web UI Configuration

318 Reply
Re:Web UI Configuration
2023-12-20 21:12:59

@TP-Link I still can't understand why you can't at least publish the API that the app uses.

Since @TP-Link seems to have completely stopped responding to this thread, I think it is safe to assume that they will never have a web interface. Sucks, but that is your position. You will always remain a distant follower in the wireless networking market for reasons exactly like this.

So I will turn my attention to feature requests for the Deco app:
1. Full site survey with RSSI, traffic, etc of other APs
2. Ability to manually set the center channel for 2.4, 5 and 6GHz channels
3. Specify network addressing for Primary, Guest and IoT networks
4. Specify acl to permit cross subnet access by client device, primarily from Guest into Primary. (Printers, file server shares, etc)
5. Syslog

I ended up putting a Fresh Tomato router in front of Deco and only use Deco for AP mesh. It would be great to use the main Deco as a router, but the feature list of things missing would be far too long, so I am ok with AP only function if the above 5 features were added.

I get that Deco is a consumer product and design to be simple. But you have just gone too far in simplifying the interface. Back off a little and give your devices some better control and you will sell much more.

Options
2023-12-20 23:00:03

@TP-Link 

That is pretty much the limits of the web UI basically useless. Unless you need to reflash firmware or perform system reboot.

Hoping more members/users will speak up and they be forced to respond.

Not asking for business grade UI, but the ability to make Address Reservations, NAT Forwarding would be a good start.

Options
2023-12-25 17:40:17

@TP-Link Yet another reason to have a functional WebUI, Here's some case for you TP-Link, There's a user lets call him joko, Joko live in a house which have a "not-so-reputable" ISP which hijacks your DNS, monitors every move and would literally leaks your DNS to the public atleast every a few years, he's had enough and he finally built himself a Pfs**se Firewall to Bypass his not so trusty ISP Provided modem and directly connect through it, he got himself some Deco APs hoping that it would work out of the box with Pfs**se but once he got his hand on it, Oh guess what! he cant even access it through the WebUI, the deco instead asks him to install some stupid app on his phone and surprise surprise, in a 3rd world country like his its not so surprising when his phone couldn't handle the heat! the app would perform either slow, or just consuming way too much of his phone's battery since its an old android that can barely do anything other than whatsapp, but moved on he did and just setted up the Deco as AP Mode and made sure it would work along with his PfSense

A Few months has passed and theres a scandal regarding PfS**se pulling the plug on Pf***se Home+Lab license which means he now either have the choice of moving to a fork of PfS**nse which is opensource (OPNS**nse) or just stay with his outdated PfS**nse, but in the end he decided to do so and migrate to OPNS**nse and welp, 

"Hmm how strange, All of them are online yet they are shown as offline on the Deco app,, Heh whats this? Forced to stop managing network? But i didn't even gave anyone else access to my TP-Link ID! How strange?"

These exact scenarios is why while yes I agree having an option to use the deco app is wonderful to quickly check the wifi password and do a little changes to the wifi such as wifi password or guest wifi settings, but in other cases like these the deco app is still not capable enough, Even if it will void my warranty, Please atleast add the option for advanced user to either have a locally accesible fully functional WebUI, or just straightup selfhost the controller for the server myself, The easiness of setting things up with the deco atleast in my scenario doesnt justify the downtime caused by other factors such as ISP Modem going offline or some other factors and i would really appreciate it if we atleast get a functional webui

P.S.: no the name that i mentioned is not my real name, it is once again a made up name and yes the issue still persists, but due to lack of documentation it is still not possible for me to resolve the current issue even after checking the logs of the decos individually. (mmhm yeah who would've guess that having a one point of failure NETWORKING SOLUTION is a good idea)

2nd P.S.: If there's a TP-Link SEA Region Representative here that could help me issue a refund, please PM Me and lets discuss about returning the decos ASAP as the online store that i bought this from (To****dia) would not take item returns

Options
2023-12-26 14:07:25

@TP-Link 

In the meantime, I use Waydroid to install and manage my Deco from the PC, but a universal Web UI should really be provided for universal compatibility reasons! (Or maybe some Electron-based app port.)

Options
RE:Web UI Configuration
2023-12-30 14:25:39
Options
2024-01-02 22:10:17
Very disappointed with this device that it requires an app to configure. Will be looking to flash the ROM. Would rather brick it than ever use it
Options
2024-01-05 02:44:03

The App is not reliable.

You cannot delete a failed configuration.

It allows creating duplicate network names.

David-TP wrote

@Jlong1961 

Hi, the remote control of Deco is linked to your TP-Link ID and as long as you sign in with the TP-Link ID which is used for Deco setup, there is no need to be physically at his house on his phone. You could log in with the same ID on your smartphone or add your account as the manager:

What’s the difference between an owner account and a manager account?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2024-01-07 18:28:41

@TP-Link 

New Deco user and tp link user for many (many) years and I also vote for a web interface. Have been done for decades, I dont think is impossible to integrate a webui in 2024. Just imagine that tp link next year gets blocked in a country or just goes banckruptcy so the app can not connect to tp link cloud and then is impossible to use it as an wifi AP.

Is an expensive setup that many people pretend to use for 10+ years, how can we be sure the devices + smartphone + app on the future are able to work properly?

Also, a feature request for the app: to show the ethernet link speed, so I can quickly check if they are working on 100 or 1000 mode. That would be very usefull and I know the device knows that, is just to show it on the app.

Other than that, the device works as intended and I understand the ultrasimple app information, but at least a more advanced mode.

I am still a tp link client based on my past experience I know that I can get a simple and fast experience but at the same time a deeper controll. Already my last wifi 6 router I bought last year started to look too "apple" philosophy, but the deco really disapointed me and I can not give it back to the shop. My next device (and family and friends) wont be granted a tplink one, because I will have to check if is too dummy on the software side.

Options
2024-01-07 21:24:17
Yesss
Options
2024-01-07 23:22:24

@TP-Link almost 2 years of asking, and still no web configuration, I think its time for everyone to move on to a real product line, and ditch this tinkertoy brand of networking products

I've moved on to Asus, 1000 times better than deco, so, save your postings, TP link doesnt care what you want..

Options

Voters 174

+ 170 Voters