Archer AX10 - clients can’t get online after firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-09 21:05:32
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ax10v1.20-up-ver1-2-5-P1[20220117-rel52085]

Hi everyone. 

I'm defeated. 

Since updating the firmware in Archer AX10 to the latest version I haven't been able to get online. 
The router itself is online, connected to the internet with the connection LED staying green all the time. Diagnostics return no errors. 
None of the clients, however, can connect to the internet. 
I've tried pretty much everything: reflashing the firmware, factory resetting using the Tether app, factory resetting using web interface and factory resetting (multiple times) using the button on the router. Nothing helps. 

Here comes the best part: when I use iCloud Private Relay or VPN I can access the internet. Since iCloud Private Relay works only in Safari, I'm limited to the browser only, but over VPN every app works. 
It gets even better with the iOS YouTube app: if I open an app on Wi-Fi, nothing loads. But if I open it on cellular, start a video and immediately turn Wi-Fi back on, the video loads, can be skipped to any moment and it keeps going. And it's not the buffer thing - I can see the progress bar moving forward and it works even in multiple-hour videos. 

The router authenticates via pppoe, but when I first set it up it didn't require any special configuration. I just typed in login and password and everything worked. And I do the same thing after each factory reset with no success.

I have no idea what may have happened during the update, but it must have been some change in settings that I'm too dumb to discover myself. 

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer AX10 - clients can’t get online after firmware upgrade
2022-02-09 22:28:12 - last edited 2022-02-09 23:09:50

@piono 

Have you tried to set these DNS servers:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-02-09 22:41:28

@terziyski 

I have. It didn't work :(

Options
2022-02-09 23:13:51

@piono 

This last FW release was meant to fix some internet connectivity issues (see this thread for details):

You should be able to revert back to the previous FW version if you feel it more stable.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-02-09 23:18:29

@terziyski 

the last fw release is the one that broke everything. I have downgraded to the previous version and factory reset the router afterwards, but it didn't help. 
Everything went sideways the second router rebooted after installing the latest update and I havent been able to get it to work since. 

Options
2022-02-10 00:01:29 - last edited 2022-02-10 00:07:17

@piono 

Do you have any ISP modem/router device installed before your AX10 ? What's the statius of your Internet port ?

What diagnostics did you run ? You can run some pings from the AX10 interface:

Test pings to 8.8.8.8 within the same diagnostic interface.

Do you receive any replies ?

When your computer connected to the router (wired/wireless), have you tried to issue some pings (in CMD) to google.com and to some known DNS like 8.8.8.8 ?

Do you receive replies from these addresses ?

Options
2022-02-10 00:14:06 - last edited 2022-02-10 00:19:05

@terziyski 

I have run ping tests both via user interface of the router and in mac's terminal. Normal pings, no packets lost. That's what makes it super weird. I know the internet is out there, since I can use it over vpn. It just stopped working "normally". 
I have checked basic things like access/parental controls but this isn't it, and my networking knowledge is too basic to understand what else might be wrong. 

I've also tried google's dns and, just to be sure, nextdns (the one blocking ads) and none of them helped.

like I've mentioned iCloud Private Relay and VPN "fix" things, but that's obviously not acceptable long term. 

I have no modem/router in the apartment. Just the Ethernet cable coming out of the wall and login and password for pppoe. The router has been pretty much flawless since last July, when I bought it. Until today. 

Options
2022-02-10 00:35:29

@piono 

If you're receiving ping replies from URLs like google.com and IPs like 8.8.8.8 on your mac then you shouldn't have any DNS issues.

Disable any features like QoS, Access Control, Parental Control , IPv6 etc. Delete address reservations, IP & MAC Binding if you have any.

Check if your ISP uses a MAC address protection:

or needs any VLAN settings:

If nothing helps then contact your local support or the ISP and ask them for help.

Options
2022-02-10 01:09:23

@terziyski 

I will contact support. Thank you very much for your help. I'll update if we find a solution. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 823

Replies: 8

Related Articles