How can I extend my Powerline network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-01 12:01:20 - last edited 2022-03-02 01:40:31

I hope that I am on the right forum!

I have just successfully set up a tp-link Powerline network using my household 240V wiring and I want to extend it further, into my workshop.  The equipment I have is the tp-link WPA8631 Kit, which has one adapter (connected to my router by Ethernet) and one extender, plugged into a socket downstairs in our house.

I want to extend the network into my workshop, which is on the same domestic 240V wiring circuit.  Can I just buy another extender?  Does it need to be a tp-link brand? Can anyone recommend an extender?

Options
4 Reply
Re:How can I extend my Powerline network?
2022-03-02 03:39:50

Hello@Mr_Rusty 

You could purchase a single Wi-Fi / wired power line unit and add it into the current power line network , they could work together

Note that all the power line units need to be paired under the same power meter.

TL-WA8631P kit contains 1)  a TL-WPA8631 (Wi-Fi powerline unit) and 2) TL-PA8010P:(wired powerline unit), either of them could pair with the old powerline unit and work as powerline extenders.  

We recommend all adapters used on a network be the same brand as the Notes in FAQ below: 

How can I select the powerline device?

How many Powerline adapters can be added to the same network?

Options
2022-03-02 20:30:24

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your reply Solla-topee.

I would appreciate some more help if that's OK?

Following the link to "How to choose the correct device", I clicked the second option as I have my tp-link initial network (An adapter and a single extender,)  I was then advised to use a device with the same powerline data speed and then the advice that devices with different data speeds could be used in the same network.  There is then a little table with "Current" and "Recommended" AV numbers.  This is where I lost the plot!  What are these numbers and how can I find the AV number for the devices in the network that I have set up?  If I buy a new device then how can I ascertain its AV number?  I noted that the box with my tp-link devices in it had AV/AV2 in the spec on the outside.

So moving on from this confusion, the article in the link started talking about the "bandwidth" of the house.  Help!  What does this mean and how can I find it out?

To compound my confusion I was asked "to take other network clients into consideration.  How would I do this and what does it mean?

If you can offer any guidance or explanation I would be very grateful.

Mr Rusty.

Options
2022-03-04 03:55:34

@Mr_Rusty 

1.  What are these numbers and how can I find the AV number for the devices in the network that I have set up?  If I buy a new device then how can I ascertain its AV number? 

2. So moving on from this confusion, the article in the link started talking about the "bandwidth" of the house.  Help!  What does this mean and how can I find it out?

That is your internet plan  or router's Wi-Fi speed, you could run a speed test to find that out. 

Personally, I think the best choice is to get a TL-WPA8631P or TL-WPA8631P kit  

Options
2022-03-05 17:35:05

@Mr_Rusty 

Thanks again Solla-topee

...so just to check, I only need one "adapter" and that connects to my router by Ethernet and, provided it all connects back to the same meter by my door, I can add more extenders.  The extenders can provide a Wi-Fi hot spot or an Ethernet connection to a device, The extenders are best branded the same and I should use extenders rated at the same Gb/sec.  The bandwidth, if I have got this right is the incoming line speed from my ISP so will be the same throughout my LAN?  My download speed varies but my ISP's minimum guaranteed speed is 20mbs.

Is this about right or have I missed something or got anything wrong?

Mr Rusty.

Options