Deco x90 + Deco M9 Plus force connection to specific node.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-15 10:15:14
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Deco X90(US)_V1_1.1.2_20210722

Hello, 

For some reason my PC is always connected to the further Deco at downstairs(M9 Plus) instead of the one which is right beside me(X90). 

I have tried disabling fast roaming, disable beam forming, disable mesh on my PC. Unfortunately, none of them worked. It will connect to X90 if all the Decos are off, but it will go back to the slower and further deco once they rebooted. 

I realized there is a new firmware for Deco M5 which you can force a specific node for specific device. So I would like to know if there is similar thing for X90 + M9 Plus combo 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco x90 + Deco M9 Plus force connection to specific node.
2022-03-15 12:43:02

@Angelababi 

I don't want to disappoint you, but that new firmware functionality is unlikely to help in your case. With new firmware, Deco can tell PC which Deco node to connect to. If your PC wireless adapter is not smart enough to connect to the nearest node now, what makes you think it'll understand when Deco tells it to do that?

In your case, there are two more options you could try:

1) In PC wireless adapter configuration disable 2.4GHz and set WiFi roaming aggressiveness to highest value. This will force PC use shorter range 5GHz, and aggressively scan for better WiFi signal;

or

2) Wire your PC to Deco X90.

Options
2022-03-16 11:19:05
Thanks for pointing this out. It helped to connect to the nearest node, but not at Wifi 6. For whatever reason my PC seems to always prefer WIFI 5 whenever possible. So it will connect to the nearest node instead of the one downstairs whenever i turn off Wifi 6 on my PC. But it will not connect to the nearest node when Wifi 6 function is turned on. It will only connect to the only Wifi 6 without any issue when the other nodes are shut off. Now i am confused why PC will prefer a WIfi 5 connection over Wifi 6 cconnection when the Wifi 6 is completely fine.
Options
2022-03-16 14:19:24

@Angelababi 

Angelababi wrote

Why PC will prefer a WIfi 5 connection over Wifi 6 connection when the Wifi 6 is completely fine?

That would be the good question to ask on PC's support forum or PC's wireless adapter support forum. You may be paying the price for mixing different technologies: WiFi5 and WiFi6, in a single mesh. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 832

Replies: 4