Bridging ISP router (or not) and X90 router vs AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-15 23:03:54 - last edited 2022-03-16 18:41:14
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, have bought an apartment in Spain and will get internet connection two weeks from now. It is fiber to home so I need to use my ISP's router. I have bought a two pack X90 and need some help how to set everything up. The apartment has RJ45 outlets in each room. 

1. Should I bridge my ISP provider's router or not?

2. Should I use the X90 in router or AP mode after bridging my ISP's router?

3. Should I wire both X90s?

Feel free to recommend the best way to set everything up!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Bridging ISP router (or not) and X90 router vs AP Mode-Solution
2022-03-16 18:40:54 - last edited 2022-03-16 18:41:14

@Alexandre. 

Thank you! Very good and clear advice!

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Bridging ISP router (or not) and X90 router vs AP Mode
2022-03-16 01:15:36 - last edited 2022-03-16 01:19:06

@Matt76 

1. Should I bridge my ISP provider's router or not?

You should not. Keep ISP router as is, just turn its WiFi off after you configured Deco mesh.

2. Should I use the X90 in router or AP mode after bridging my ISP's router?

You should use X90 in AP mode. Deco Access Point mode delivers maximum performance, because that mode removes all and any traffic throttling and content filtering features in Deco.

Note that you can only use X90 in AP mode if you did not bridge ISP router. So, see answer to #1.

3. Should I wire both X90s?

Absolutely! Also, with X90 in AP mode you can wire X90s any way you want, as long as they connect to your home network. When Deco runs in router mode, there are restrictions in how you can wire Deco units. See General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco. If you want less headaches with wiring X90s, see answer to #2.

------------------

As you may have guessed, I run my Deco mesh, consisting of 4 units, in Access Point mode.

------------------

Feel free to recommend the best way to set everything up!

You have WiFi mesh from Deco. For WiFi mesh, in general, placement of WiFi nodes is important.

You have two nodes, two X90s. If your apartment is single floor, start with placing both X90s in opposite corners of the floor. If you find WiFi signal in the middle of the floor too weak or too slow for your taste, move both or one of units closer. Keep moving them closer to each other till you have perfect coverage everywhere. Very important to keep them wired, so if you have to move them - move to where Ethernet connection is. 

If you can't get perfect coverage everywhere, even after trying different places for X90s, consider buying one more X90 for the middle of the floor, with original two units at both sides of the floor.

Options
Re:Bridging ISP router (or not) and X90 router vs AP Mode-Solution
2022-03-16 18:40:54 - last edited 2022-03-16 18:41:14

@Alexandre. 

Thank you! Very good and clear advice!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 380

Replies: 2

Related Articles