How do I set up my home network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-23 11:20:54

I just moved to a new home that is large enough to need 2 WiFi access points. Unfortunately I'm a total noob and I'm having problems.

Old setup: Cable modem (Arris Surfboard) > TP Link WiFi router > various Ethernet ports around the house

New setup (attempt 1): Surfboard > PoE switch > Unifi AC Lite + upstairs Ethernet > second PoE switch > second AC Lite

Some searching revealed that my modem was not acting like a router and thus nothing was assigned an IP address. I could still get online with my upstairs PC since it was essentially wired directly into the modem via switches and cables. But my Unifis couldn't be adopted even though I could see them through the software.

So I decide to use my old WiFi router as a regular router. I disabled the wifi on it and connected it between the Surfboard and the first switch. Now I have no internet and also no wifi.

What do I need to do to get it working? I have only the equipment mentioned in this post - 2 switches, 2 AC Lites, a traditional WiFi router, and a cable modem. Help!

Options
1 Reply
Re:How do I set up my home network?
2022-03-24 08:04:35

@SuomyNonaPatri 

What is the model of the Arris Surfboard modem? We can search online to see if that is a modem or a modem router.

If it is only a modem, you will definitely need a router to share the internet to the network. BTW, what is the model of the TP-Link router? When you connect it to the modem, will it be able to get a valid WAN IP address from the modem? You can follow the troubleshooting suggestions in the FAQ to locate the issue:

What should I do if I cannot access the internet through Wi-Fi router?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 317

Replies: 1

Related Articles