cannot use second enet port on AV2000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-29 17:46:47
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a new pair of the AV2000 powerline extenders. Primary function is to extend network from the cable modem to my wifi router about 40 feet away. This is working perfectly, using the right-hand ports of the extenders. I then tried to add a laptop enet into the left-hand port of the extender. This is not able to pull a dhcp address from the router, if I assign a static IP it will not pass any traffic. Same failure mode for the left port of both extenders.

Another complication - not able to run the tpPLC utility since I have no physical Windows or Macs at home. Tried to run it thru a Win7 vbox virtual machine running under Linux with a bridged virtual NIC - can't detect a powerline device. Even though it's on the same subnet.

How can I use the second ports on the AV2000 ??

thanks,

don m.

Options
5 Reply
Re:cannot use second enet port on AV2000
2022-03-30 07:10:42

Hello   @h.j._grits 

When Router <Ethernet #1 > -PA9020P-<Ethernet #2> Laptop, test and confirm both Ethernet  cables are fine 

If connect laptop to router directly and use' obtain IP address automatically' in IP settings, could laptop get IP & IPV4 gateway address from router. 

If connect Laptop to main AV2000 another Ethernet port and use ' obtain IP address automatically' can I have a photo of IP address at that time? 

Try  a different computer to connect to AV2000

Can I know the network map, like Router model xx <Ethernet> -main  PA9020P-<Ethernet > Laptop/PC/ Linux PC? 

If Windows PC or MAC does not see devices in tpPLC Utility, please connect try to turn off firewall or antivirus settings on the computer. 

Options
2022-03-30 13:57:31 - last edited 2022-03-30 14:15:31

@h.j._grits 

Options
2022-03-30 14:07:37

@h.j._grits 

Enet cables tested good, used 2 different ones. Used 2 different laptops to test, both pull dhcp addresses from router & work fine when connected via enet ports on local switch.

Network config:

Spectrum cable modem -> PA9020P (#1, port1) ----------- PA9020P (#2, port1) -> Medialink AC1200 router -> Cisco 1Gbe switch -> laptop A

When connecting laptop B or laptop C to PA9020P (#1, port2) or PA9020P (#2, port2), they will not acquire dhcp address from AC1200 (or anywhere else). With a static IP assigned on the local subnet, they are not able to ping laptop A or any other nodes.

Disabling firewall on the Win7 virtual machine makes no difference, still can't find any powerline device.

thanks,

don m.

Options
2022-04-06 14:17:40
I managed to get the tpPLC utility to connect to the PA9020P devices - using the 2nd enet port. Looked for configs related to port usage, found nothing. Attempted to update firmware, apparently the devices were already at the latest version(3.2.4_902104_190506_91). With the laptop in the 2nd port, it would eventually pull a dhcp address from the router. But it could not ping the router or any other devices, no internet access. No other devices could ping this laptop either ......
Options
2022-04-26 05:59:37

Hello   @h.j._grits 

Sorry for the late reply

Kindly note that powerline devices need to connect behind the router , not directl yto a cable modem, as cable modem does not have DHCP server like router and could only assign one IP address . that means only 1 device could get internet from your modem when connect to modem directly. 

-So the network topology should be : 

Spectrum cable modem->  Medialink AC1200 router * as DHCP server to assign IP address for network device*-> PA9020P (#1, port1) ----------- PA9020P (#2, port1)-> Cisco 1Gbe switch -> laptop) 

If you need Wireless at PA9020P #2 , you could add one more AP.e.g  cable modem -Router 1 --PLC____________PLC --Access Point --Switch

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 378

Replies: 5

Related Articles