VPN from Work to Home Behind Severely Hardened Firewall

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-21 18:57:52 - last edited 2022-04-22 15:29:38

Looking for Options/Advice:

I have the AC5400 router installed at home and need to VPN through it to send/receive files between my home office and my corporate office. The firewall at the corporate office is hardened and very few ports are allowed open (these are dangerous times). I get it.  But I need a way to do this. 

I have the OpenVPN service running and working outside the corporate environment - I use it from my laptop when I'm on the road. But work Ops team will not open the desired Port(s) for that option.  I have learned that OpenVPN will work over port 443, but tp-link support says I cannot force the router to use that port as it is reserved. Again - I get it. 

What are my options to get some sort of VPN / Remote Desktop connection from work to home?  

NOTE: MS RDP is not an option. It's just WAY too insecure and risky.

Thanks in advance for any advice or options you can enlighten me with.

- damon

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN from Work to Home Behind Severely Hardened Firewall-Solution
2022-04-21 19:42:25 - last edited 2022-04-22 15:29:38

@DJGray 

Hi,

Have you already considered the software "TeamViewer"? It does Remote Desktop and also can be used to transfer files to and from the computer it is running on.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:VPN from Work to Home Behind Severely Hardened Firewall-Solution
2022-04-21 19:42:25 - last edited 2022-04-22 15:29:38

@DJGray 

Hi,

Have you already considered the software "TeamViewer"? It does Remote Desktop and also can be used to transfer files to and from the computer it is running on.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:VPN from Work to Home Behind Severely Hardened Firewall
2022-04-21 20:10:37

@woozle 

I've heard of this but not used it. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Options
Re:VPN from Work to Home Behind Severely Hardened Firewall
2022-04-22 15:29:25
Woozie, got this installed on each end and tested it this morning. While not as "clean" as a VPN with remote desktop, this will more than suffice for my needs. Thanks for the tip!!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 261

Replies: 4

Related Articles