tl-sg105 port speed question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-22 19:30:16 - last edited 2022-04-24 21:35:07
Model: TL-SG105  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: no idea

Hello:

I have an ADSL router (telco provided) with 10/100 ports.

To this router I connect three things:

1. a box running Devuan Linux with an on-board GbE LAN network adapter.

2. a netbook running Devuan Linux with an on-board 10/100 network adapter.

3. a 'My Book Live' single drive NAS running OpenWRT with an on-board GbE LAN network adapter.

As things stand, rsync between the box and the NAS takes ages as everything goes through the router.

ie: there is a 10/100M bottleneck between the box and the NAS, both of which can work at Gb speeds.

I was thinking about getting the TL-SG105 Gb switch to plug in box+netbook+NAS+whatever else and connect the switch to the router.

This way I expect to be able to ssh between the box and the NAS (both with GB ports) through the TL-SG105's much faster Gb link.

box         | <--> |

netbook  | <--> | Gb switch | ---> ADSL router --> web

NAS        | <--> |

Q:

Am I correct in assuming that I'll get a Gb link between the box and the NAS?

Or does everything still pass through the router?

Thanks in advance,

W.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:tl-sg105 port speed question-Solution
2022-04-24 21:04:14 - last edited 2022-04-24 21:35:07

@witcher 

You should be able to mitigate the bottleneck introducing a TL-SG105 the way you described.

You may take a look at the TL-SG105E as well - it's an easy smart switch (it has a WebGUI for management) and it could offer more visibility/flexibility in your LAN.

It supports ethernet ports link aggregation and also supports VLANs if you ever need them.

Their price difference is negligible.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:tl-sg105 port speed question-Solution
2022-04-24 21:04:14 - last edited 2022-04-24 21:35:07

@witcher 

You should be able to mitigate the bottleneck introducing a TL-SG105 the way you described.

You may take a look at the TL-SG105E as well - it's an easy smart switch (it has a WebGUI for management) and it could offer more visibility/flexibility in your LAN.

It supports ethernet ports link aggregation and also supports VLANs if you ever need them.

Their price difference is negligible.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:tl-sg105 port speed question
2022-04-24 21:34:49

Hello:

terziyski wrote

@witcher 

... should be able to mitigate the bottleneck introducing a TL-SG105 ...

Great.

I was not sure it would work as I thought it would.

Thank you for your input.

Best,

W.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 626

Replies: 2