Votes

Customize DNS Suffix

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Customize DNS Suffix

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Customize DNS Suffix
Customize DNS Suffix
2022-05-02 02:34:30 - last edited 2022-05-06 02:40:38
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I was disappointed to learn that the deco does not allow the DNS LAN suffix (.local) to be changed. I had to stand up a DNS server, and hardcode assignments, which shouldn't be necessary for a commercial router.

Please add the ability to customize DNS suffixes for devices connected to deck LAN, and - a DHCP feature - the ability to customize the list of suffixes to search for locally (before querying primary DNS server)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Customize DNS Suffix
2022-05-05 12:53:11 - last edited 2022-05-06 02:40:38

I'm going to +1 this.

Really is a basic feature of DHCP servers. 

Options
2022-05-06 02:36:52

@GaryParr count me on if TP-Link needs more feedback.

I do think it is an important feature but not a basic one since I search Google for this occasionally but never find anything. I do see someone mentioned OpenWRT but it is far beyond my range and would rather not use it.

Have you used any router that supported built-in DNS to resolve queries on the local subnets?

Options
2022-05-06 13:08:18

@Lawrence-C 

DNS suffix is also known as "default domain" and is part of normal DHCP functionality.  Basically, it tells the client getting an IP address that when it runs DNS queries it should append a value to single part names.  For instance, if your defailt domain is set to "local(dot)net" and you opened your browser and went to "media-server" your laptop would actually ask for "media-server(dot)local(dot)net" which your on-network DNS server could resolve.

And yes, this is pretty standard.  Here is a screenshot of the DHCP configuration for a TP-Link TL-WA901ND 300mbs Wireless N access point release sometime around 2015.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1144

Replies: 3

Voters 2