WA850RE in Repeater mode changes Mac Address after changing the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-28 13:05:31 - last edited 2022-05-30 00:57:04
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20200923 Rel. 71152

Hello. I have the following setting:

Router (OpenWRT) --wired--- Unifi AP  --wireless-- TL WA850RE

I set a static lease for WA850RE. Now, recently I changed the router (still OpenWRT), but the identical IP address range, and I already entered the static address of WAL850RE, so that it will get the right address from the beginning. I restarted the APs then, also WA850RE.  However, I realized that the Mac Address of WA850RE is now a bit different, so that it did get a random IP address from the range.

I have another TL WA850RE, which is connected to the router as an access point. With that one, there was no problem. The Mac address stayed the same, so did the static lease.

Why does WA850RE change the Mac address when it's in repeater mode ? It looks like, the clients of it on repeater mode also get a bit different Mac assigned, does that do it to itself ? Why does it do it ?

I would appreciate your hint!

Options
2 Reply
Re:WA850RE in Repeater mode changes Mac Address after changing the router
2022-06-01 02:23:24

Hello  @doremifajb 

That could be the WLAN Mac and LAN MAC of the range extender, which are used to talk to the router wirelessly or by wire/ Ethernet. 

When RE wirelessly connect to a router, you will need double-check the RE's MAC address in router client list and assign an IP address to that MAC address. 

Options
Re:WA850RE in Repeater mode changes Mac Address after changing the router
2022-06-01 09:26:53

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your reply! I was connecting RE wirelessly to another AP both times (a Unifi AP connected to the router over LAN). So it's not that the two different addresses were one for LAN, one for Wireless, both of them were for wireless.

The other RE stayed the same, because it was connected over LAN Port.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 511

Replies: 2