How to set up Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to set up Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
How to set up Deco M5
How to set up Deco M5
2022-05-29 21:02:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there, to start with I should point I’m not overly technical when it comes to this sort of thing.

I bought the deco M5 system (3 decos) last August and much to my wife’s annoyance I haven’t got around to setting it up for various reasons, one being I’m not sure on the best approach given the set up I have in my house.

I have a comms room downstairs which is a converted cloakroom and in there is the sky broadband router which connects to hive hub, VELUX windows and burglar alarm. In addition it connects to a switch which itself is connected to to an ethernet port in each main room of the house, allowing me to hardwire any devices as necessary eg Smart TV.

At present, in the extremities of the house furtherest away from the router, the Wi-Fi signal can be weak. My questions is simple, what is the best approach with the mesh system given I have the option to plug a deco directly into a socket in any room with the weak Wi-Fi signal (which would then be connected to the router via the switch), and I assume this could boost the existing signal? From reading a lot about deco on the website (and understanding very little) it seems that the Access Point mode may be most suitable and I’m happy with that’s knowing that it does not then offer me the parental controls etc.

Any help or even a diagram of how I could get things set up would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

Options
23 Reply
Re:How to set up Deco M5
2022-05-29 22:02:26

@Chris_82 

Hey Chris

Sounds like you are on the right road mate, what you have described then Acess Point mode is your best option.    Im guessing your placing the devices in positions where they cannot talk / may be weak signal with each other?   If so you want to switch to Access Point mode.

The main difference is that in AP mode is it switches from a mesh to individual APs..

In Mesh Mode they communicate via WiFi and the ports are for connecting devices (printers, PCs etc..) 

In AP mode it uses the ports for cable connection between the Deco's, therefore they can be placed in areas that cannot talk via WiFi and will work as individual devices.   This is what you are after

Setup the device and switch to AP mode, plug in the locations you need to your cabling / switch and this should work for you!   In AP mode the DHCP is disabled, therefore they will just pull an address from the router (192.168.0.xxx likely)  and will therefore just appear as another device(s) on your ISP routers client list.

Options
2022-05-30 08:30:28

Thanks  @Philbert 

would it be possible to set it up as per the bottom

diagram? That way I could just plug a deco into 3 rooms as required? Or do I use the top diagram with a deco between the router and switch?

Options
2022-05-30 09:01:19

@Chris_82 

Hey Chris

Yeah use the bottom way, the top way is for router mode.   In this mode the first deco (Primary) is the DHCP for your network and not your router, this is not what you want.  You want to have the ISP router hand out DHCP and the deco device to just work as APs..

Just plug your deco into your switch and complete setup that way, then switch to Access Point Mode and you should be fine from there!

Any queries dont be afraid to ask :)

This link is what you are after   https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

Options
2022-05-30 09:10:05

@Philbert 

Hi Philbert

That's brilliant, thank you so much!

So now I just follow the instruction on the app for initial set up and do what that tells me, and once complete move the deco's where I want them and plug them in and switch to access mode?

Chris

Options
2022-05-30 09:38:21

@Chris_82 

Once setup is completed and all are online in ROUTER MODE switch them to AP MODE before moving them to final location.   

Just concerned that if you dont switch mode before moving them, they may well not communicate right post move, you then wont be able to switch..    I would have them in AP mode before moving

Options
2022-05-30 09:46:43

@Philbert 

Great, that makes sense, thanks again!

Chris

Options
2022-05-31 13:40:21

Chris_82 wrote

So now I just follow the instruction on the app for initial set up and do what that tells me, and once complete move the deco's where I want them 

@Chris_82 

If you need recommendation on how to properly place three Deco nodes in your house, here it is. Select three rooms where you want to have the best WiFi signal. Place your Deco M5s in these rooms, connect to Ethernet and power them on starting with Main Deco. 

Then, see if you have sufficient WiFi coverage for the rest of your house. If you find rooms where WiFi signal is too weak for your preferences, buy additional Deco M5s, make them join your Deco mesh and place them in these rooms, also connected to Ethernet.

Also, one more thing: after you deployed Deco, turn off WiFi on your router. This is to avoid interference between router WiFi and Deco WiFi. With Deco mesh, you no longer need router provide WiFi signal.

Options
2022-05-31 19:09:25

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for your help, how will I know which one is the main Deco, will this be clear from when I complete the set up?

Is it easy to turn the Wi-Fi off on my router? I have no idea how to do this and didn't even know you could!

many thanks 

chri

Options
2022-05-31 19:49:39

@Chris_82 

The first Deco node you configure during the initial setup will become Main Deco. You will be asked to give name to each Deco node, and you can see which one is Main in Deco app:

The one I named "Living Room" is Main Deco in my household.

How to turn off WiFi in a router depends on a router. You'll have to check its manual or ask your ISP Technical Support. Usually it means logging in router configuration web page(s).

You can leave that step till you have successfully configured Deco mesh.

Options
2022-05-31 22:43:11

@Chris_82 

Your router will have an IP address, usually this is something like 192.168.0.1

If you have a laptop run a command prompt and type   ipconfig /all     this will display some data, one of them is default gateway..  that's your router address

Type this into a browser and it should open a page, login for this will be on the bottom sticker of the router (or a card on back).   Once into the router you should be able to turn off WiFi in there somewhere  :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1808

Replies: 23

Related Articles