How to set up Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to set up Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
23 Reply
Re:How to set up Deco M5
2022-06-01 06:22:02

@Alexandre.

Thank you :)

Options
2022-06-01 06:33:02

@Philbert

Yes I have a MacBook so I'll have a go at that once the Decos are set up, I'm going to have a go at setting it all up tomorrow when I'm not working and relying on the internet, just in case it all goes wrong!

Is there a particular type of ethernet cable I should use for connecting the Decos? I got one with the Deco kit which is has a flat cable. I just have a few standard ones lying around the type that you get with your router from your broadband provider.

Thanks again 

Chris

Options
2022-06-01 15:39:34 - last edited 2022-06-01 15:39:51

@Chris_82 

Any standard Ethernet cable can do when you bring configured Deco nodes to their permanent places.

For initial configuration of first Deco node you will have to connect it with Ethernet cable to your router. For that, I would suggest using cable that came with Deco set. 

Options
2022-06-18 19:34:01 - last edited 2022-06-19 08:12:51

Hi again,

@Philbert 

So I have finally got around to attempting set up.

I managed to complete the initial set up and then did the following 

- switched to AP mode

- turned off main deco and moved to another room connected via Ethernet cable back to switch

- turned on main deco 

- repeated in different rooms for the other decos

I thought that by doing this the new network I created during initial set up would disappear and it would go back to only my Sky details and the decos would just boost that signal, that hasn't happened and I still have my new network named in the deco app and the choice of the new and existing sky when checking wifi options on my phone. 

Is that correct that I now how the 2 networks that both seem to work fine? All of my smart devices connect to the sky router via the switch are working as normal and the newly created network gives a strong signal all around the house once my phone is connected.

Has anything gone wrong here or is it expected behaviour and if applicable what I need to do to fix?

Again I'm not technical so finding this a bit difficult!

**edit** when completing initial set up I plugged the main deco directly into my router and not the switch connected to the router, not sure if this is my error?

Thanks

Chris 

Options
2022-06-19 11:17:56

@Chris_82 

Hey Chris

This is pretty much the expected behaviour if honest.   Sadly the sky router doesnt support any type of Mesh so will work independently of the Deco's...  this is a way round this however

If you reconfigure the Deco wireless and give it the same wireless name / passkey as your Sky router then the devices will see it as "one large network", therefore you will just have   Sky1234  broadcast all round the house and not two separate names.   Any device will connect to either the Deco or Sky router (whatever is stronger) in this setup as the name and password are the same, it simply won't care and it should work fine

That might be the easiest for you

However that aside, there is one downfall of this setup.. its unlikely a deal breaker for most people however

When you are connected to the Deco devices on SKY1234 and move about it will "roam you" around, namely as you move from say the Hall to the Living room it will hand over the connection on your phone without disconnecting.  Its handy for whatapp calls etc and is the big advantage of the mesh setup

As the sky router doesnt support Mesh, should you move to an area that is covered by the Sky Router and NOT the deco, the phone wont be able to roam from the Deco to the Sky router and therefore will have to drop the connect to allow you to move to the Sky Router.   That will obviously kill any video / call you have in progress for a few seconds, again may not be an issue unless you are moving around a lot

What most people do in my experience is turn off the WiFi on the sky router, then add an additional Deco beside the sky router.  This way you are not using the sky router for WiFi, just to provide the internet connection.   As the whole WiFi is Deco you now have complete roaming if that is desirable.

Hope that helps?

Options
2022-06-19 13:26:14

Thanks so much  @Philbert !

Very helpful and makes total sense, so it seems I have got it all set up correctly and now just have the options of your additional steps depending what I want to do :)

Is it possible to wall mount a deco or does this drastically affect them broadcasting the Wi-Fi signal?

thanks

Chris 

Options
2022-06-19 14:21:33

@Chris_82 

Hey

Yeah the Deco can be wall mounted with no issues, should not any real difference on the signal pattern if honest.

There are 3rd party wall mounts available, on amazon search for     STANSTAR Wall Mount for TP-Link Deco M5

Options
2022-06-19 19:22:17

@Philbert  I can't thank you enough, I've followed your advice and have changed the Wi-Fi name and password to that of Sky and switched off the Wi-Fi on my router. I now have fantastic wifi signal all around my house and even down at the bottom of the garden. All of my wired smart devices (via the switch) now show on the deco app.

I'm very happy and really appreciate your help!

Chris 

Options
2022-06-20 21:46:45

@Chris_82 

No worries mate, glad to be of help   smiley

Options
2022-07-22 07:47:54

@Philbert 

hi Philbert, I was just wondering what I need to do with the deco set up if I decide to change internet provider and end up with a new router?

thanks 

Christ

Options
Related Articles