Clients on an SSID not getting IP address at some APs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-05 13:00:49 - last edited 2022-06-05 16:58:16

Hello,

I have a site with 8 EAP245's. I got three SSID's, each with its own subnet (vlan), one of them being for guests. I realized that communication with the DCHP server wasn't always properly communicating for that subnet: the AP blocks DHCP request and ack.  The other SSIDs are fine. Since "guests" net is the only one for which access control is set, I messed around with it, and for now I have the following:

Router --> All the IP groups, allow

all the IP groups  --> Router, allow

SSID guests --> IP group guests, deny. (client isolation)

Then, I realized that, it works on some APs, but not everywhere, my laptop doesn't get an IP address at some APs when it's on guests-net, but at some other APs, it does.

I was actually broadcasting three SSIDs on 2 APs, and only two (without Admin) on the others. It looked like that's the only difference between the "good" APs and "bad" ones.

(but I can't test at all the locations)

So in the end, I decided to broadcast all the SSIDs on all the APs. Then now it seems working at more APs, including the ones where it didn't work before: I connect my laptop on guests and I do get an IP address. But I think broadcasting of ssid is totally irrelevant, and earlier it happened that I changed something, and it worked, then after a while, it stopped working. So I am afraid that it might not be the permanent solution.

I also realized that some APs have Mac starting with 10:27:F5, some 60:A4:B7, and one of them is B4:B0:24. I wonder if they were made in different places, and thus have slight difference in performance ?

In all, I'm pretty confused as to what is happening. I would appreciate if someone could please explain to me what's going on....

Options
2 Reply
Re:Clients on an SSID not getting IP address at some APs
2022-06-06 11:01:50

@doremifajb 

Can you check if all your EAPs have the same firmware version and hardware version?
What version of controller specifically?
I hope that this FAQ will help you with the specific settings:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1060/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Clients on an SSID not getting IP address at some APs
2022-06-06 11:59:36

@Virgo 

Thank you for your reply. I got these EAPs recently, I updated all of them to the most recent version right away. Firmware: 5.0.4 Build 20211021 Rel. 57494, Hardware: EAP245(EU) v3.0. Despite various OUIs, they have all same hardware versions.

Controller is 4.4.6.

The link https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1060/ you gave me is not for the recent version of the firmware. Earlier, you have to set the isolation of the clients on the same AP and different APs at two different places, like it says in the FAQ, but with the current firmware, as long as I understood the mechanism and tried it out, it is uniformly done under EAP Access Control. There is no place to click for client isolation. But it actually makes more sense.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 322

Replies: 2

Related Articles