Archer C80 - Possible solution to "internet connection lost while downloading torrents" problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C80 - Possible solution to "internet connection lost while downloading torrents" problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-06 14:15:23
Tags: #Access Point Mode #torrent
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 201022 Rel.53112n(4555)

I am using Archer C80 behind a cable modem in router mode.

I had a weird problem when I downloaded a big file using torrent protocol.

After the torrent download finished, "most of the time" the router lost connection to the internet and it did not recover until I rebooted the router (not the cable modem, only router).

There are similar threads in this community forum like the one below:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/233156?page=1

However, none of the suggested solutions worked.

Last week I bought a game console and multiplayer tests on the console  showed me that I am using double NAT which would prevent some multiplayer features.

That was because I was using the cable modem in "router" mode which meant the first NAT was on the cable modem and the second NAT was on the Archer C80.

So I changed my cable modem to bridged mode:

After that, the problem that occured after downloading torrent files simply disappeared.

I wanted to share this information for others who may be facing the same problem.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C80 - Possible solution to "internet connection lost while downloading torrents" problem
2022-06-06 14:24:52

@tallboy72 

The other way to avoid the double NAT in your LAN is to leave your modem in router mode and configure C80 in AP mode (Case 1) - you should choose better approach according to your needs.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Archer C80 - Possible solution to "internet connection lost while downloading torrents" problem
2022-06-06 14:45:29

@terziyski You are right but when I use the router in access point (AP) mode, I can not use some of the features on the router like parental controls which do not exist on my cable modem. That's why I am using the router mode.

Options
2022-06-06 15:23:08

@tallboy72 

Yes, that's correct, that's why I posted " according to your needs ".

Here's the difference between router mode and AP mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options