Does Access Point Mode Use Main Router IP Address?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-09 13:05:55 - last edited 2022-06-10 15:03:03
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So i set my TL-WR940N router to access point mode and use it to extend Wifi from a main router using cable from the main router LAN port. The WR940N default gateway is 192.168.0.1 as mentoined in the manual book and website. At some point the router didn't provide internet access yet the light is blue which mean its still get internet from the main router. I tried to change some setting from the default gateway and it didn't fix the probelm, so i decided to reset the WR940N. Somehow the router setting can't be accessed again both from 192.168.0.1 and tplinkwifi.net. Later I found out that the devices connected to the WR940N router have IP address based on the main router. When entering the main router default gateway, it show the main router setting instead.

Is that how access point mode supposed to work? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Does Access Point Mode Use Main Router IP Address? -Solution
2022-06-09 16:19:50 - last edited 2022-06-10 15:03:03

@Alex_03 

You can refer this guide for configuring TL-WR940N in AP mode. Choose Case 1 or 2 according to your TL-WR940N version.

In AP mode the DHCP server of the TL-WR940N is disabled, while the IP address of the TL-WR940N should be in the main router's LAN subnet.

If TL-WR940N has a dedicated AP mode then connect your main router LAN port to TL-WR940N WAN port, otherwise the connection should be LAN to LAN.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Does Access Point Mode Use Main Router IP Address? -Solution
2022-06-09 16:19:50 - last edited 2022-06-10 15:03:03

@Alex_03 

You can refer this guide for configuring TL-WR940N in AP mode. Choose Case 1 or 2 according to your TL-WR940N version.

In AP mode the DHCP server of the TL-WR940N is disabled, while the IP address of the TL-WR940N should be in the main router's LAN subnet.

If TL-WR940N has a dedicated AP mode then connect your main router LAN port to TL-WR940N WAN port, otherwise the connection should be LAN to LAN.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Does Access Point Mode Use Main Router IP Address?
2022-06-10 15:02:51

@terziyski thank you for the reply, but both case didn't work for me and the only way to access configuration site is by disconnecting the WR940N WAN port, at least there's a way to configure it. And thank you for the confirmation of the IP address

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 339

Replies: 2

Related Articles