Randomised mac addresses override parental controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-12 13:37:04 - last edited 2022-06-13 11:52:49
Tags: #Feature Request #Parental controls
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So, any relatively new smartphone or Windows 10 user has the option to randomise the Mac address.  This means that any parental controls are totally overridden on the Deco.

Black listing the device doesn't work as the network sees it as a new device.

There is no white list option and no method of requiring permission for 'new' devices to join the network. Essentially, so long as my young teen has the WiFi password, he can bypass ALL parent controls simply by toggling his phone/laptop to randomise the Mac address. If I'm constantly monitoring it, I can boot him off. But I have to work and sleep sometimes! 

I can see this was raised as an issue back in 2019 with the response to 'wait for news' on the website. I can't see that anything has changed? Other companies do seem to have updated their systems e.g. keenetic (I can't link but they have a nice helpful page on their website showing how their white list system works to prevent this problem).

It's a shame as it's otherwise great but since I bought it last week mainly on the back of its excellent parental controls I can see it going back....

Any updates on this issue?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Randomised mac addresses override parental controls
2022-08-30 20:34:45

@Ragnatela Just reported this issue and saw your report.  It does not look promissing that this basic functionality is not available.  I had it available in my old rounter which I used for almost 7 odd years.

Options
2022-09-16 19:37:20

@Ragnatela my son is 10 and figured this out on his iPhone and now the parental controls - which is the reason I use the system - is completely useless. This needs to be solved ASAP. Hope they are on it...

Options
2023-01-24 10:06:16 - last edited 2023-01-24 10:06:40

@Ragnatela I've asked for an update on an extremely long thread listed below, somethings got to be done.

But I have my doubts they will do it :-(

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/166440

Options
2023-01-24 10:26:56 - last edited 2023-01-24 10:38:03

@Tussockland what do you think it is TP-link! They will now update the new devices until summer, and then there won't be any updates any more like x60 or P7 P9.

The devices are still not able to read the IP from an Device with Static IP. But how is it possible that these devices are connected together?

Options

Information

Helpful: 11

Views: 1548

Replies: 4

Tags

Feature Request
Parental controls