How to connect a TP-LInk Powerline adapter to a TP-Link Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-20 11:57:50
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi,

To ensure higher WiFi coverage in my house, where I have a router from my IP provider, I used to have a WPA8631P powerline Kit.

To improve coverage I have now installed a set of three units of Deco P9.  I have placed one near the router, another in the living room and a third in the office.

I would like to know if I can still use the WPA8631P to extend coverage a bit further. My understanding is that the Deco and the powerline do not pair, i.e. the Deco mesh is a network on its own and the WPA8631P is not a mesh equipment.

I read that I can connect the powerline unit (the base PA8010P) to one of the Deco's and then pair it with the other unit from the WPA8631P (which I can then relocate further away to expand coverage). I do have a few questions about the setup however:

1 - can I connect (via Ethernet cable) the powerline unit to any of the Deco units or does it have to be the main Deco unit (the one near the router)?

2 - can I have the powerline provide the same SSID as the Deco units or do I need ( or should) use a separate SSID?

3 - is there a specific firmware version I need for the WPA8631P for this to work well?

THanks for any help.  Best,

-Luis

Options
1 Reply
Re:How to connect a TP-LInk Powerline adapter to a TP-Link Deco P9?
2022-06-21 02:57:18

Hello   @lmsilveira 

Thank you for being interested in TP-Link powerline devices.  You are correct that Deco and Powerline devices are two systems, so they will not pair.

TP-Link OneMesh vs Deco Mesh

• If you need an extender to build a Mesh network with an existing Deco system, please consider more Deco units as extenders, as Deco units  could build an integrated Mesh system; 
  • If you wish to use Powerline device / Range extender work with Deco unit and extend the network, it could work only as a common extender, but not build a mesh network with Deco.

For your questions:  1. you can connect main powerline unit to any Deco unit

2. Wi-Fi powerline unit itself is an Access Point, it can use the same SSID or use different SSIDs from Deco

3. No

Options