Brand new Deco AC1300 M5 Is very very slow!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-22 10:59:46 - last edited 2022-06-22 11:05:48
Tags: #slow
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

My Interent speed is 1000MB

Just open the product, right now and made it work.

TP-Link 802.11ac AC1300 Whole-Home Mesh System Deco M5   

Is very slow - instead of promised 867 Mbps on 5 GHz,  but is only 387MB when connected to the router.

In the other room it reaches only 59- 80 MB  two walls of 4--3 meters lead to the other Deco device and then my laptop and iphone 13.

I set no speed limit in the app.

This is speed test from my laptop.

Why is too slow in the living room when connected to the router ?

Why and how its so slow in the room ?????

Options
5 Reply
Re:Brand new Deco AC1300 M5 Is very very slow!
2022-06-22 12:00:35

@Elado 

Hello and welcome!

I going to have to be honest with you and say that if you have 1gbps internet then this is not the best choice of Deco for you.   Let me explain

The speeds you see advertised for WiFi, namely 866mbps is a the 'theoretical maximum' and in reality isn't even close to achievable.   The standard accepted range for speed is 50 / 60% of the theoretical simply due to the medium of sending data via the airspace which would be around 450 / 500mbps under good situations.

The model you have purchased is an WiFi 5 (AC) model advertising 866mbps, therefore it requires the device you are connecting to this AP to have a 2x client card built in (two spatial streams).  In AC mode each card supports 433mbps per stream on 5ghz.   If you are using a phone or some lower spec laptops this may only have a 1x card and therefore can only connect at 433 max.   Your iPhone should have a 2x card

Im guessing the 379mbps you are reading is a speedtest result?   If it is a speed test result you are not far off the expectations of AC WiFi, running the network optimiser may find a better channel and increase this to ~450.. perhaps 500 and that is really as far as you can push this.

In respect to the other room, via 2 walls is going to be you issue there.   5ghz WiFi while fast is massively affected by walls, barriers, noise etc and therefore has a rather short range in reality.  The much higher amplitude of the wavelength greatly reduces the range and makes it far more susceptible to errors.

From my experience 2 walls will destroy that signal and therefore that 2nd node will switch to 2.4ghz mode as the signal is better.    2.4 doesnt suffer the same issue as the wavelength is longer and has a lower amplitude, therefore much better at penetrating.. however speeds are also much slower and 50 / 75mbps is what I would expect.

Bear in mind the second node has to wirelessly communicate with the first node, those walls are your issue for sure.

In honesty, you really have only two choices here

1.  Stick with the M5 and run a cable from the router to the second node, switch then to AP mode and that should be faster for you.   Again maximum is going to be 500ish.. but you are not using the WiFi backhaul between the nodes so it should be faster overall.   

2.  Return these and consider the Deco X50  / X60 range.  These are WiFi6 (AX) grade devices and are inherently faster overall, you still won't get the fill 1gbps over WiFI as its simply not possible, but WiFi6 will give you the closest to this.  However the second node will still be much slower than the first node, new models are not going to fix interference but you should see it faster overall, guessing 150mbps.   If you really want as fast as possible to all nodes, you need to run cables to them.

In short, cabling is your only real answer here mate, on a cable you will get the full 1gbps, well ~940mbps to be precise, there is always overhead even on a cable!  

I upgraded to 1gbps last year myself and ended up putting in 3 APs (Omada EAP245) all wired back to the router.   All around the house I get around 500 to 550 over WiFi.  I could probably push this to 750 / 800 with WiFi6 APs but I don't feel I need too.    Sounds like you are in the same situution

Options
2022-06-22 12:05:57 - last edited 2022-06-22 12:08:37

@Philbert 

P.S.   From experience  FAST DOT COM  gives a better and more accurate speed result, I regularly find  SPEEDTEST DOT COM to be a bit slower.  

Just worth considering, example below from just now on my desktop.. FAST is much FASTER

Options
2022-06-22 14:44:09 - last edited 2022-06-22 15:22:01

@Philbert Hi to you,

My iPhone 13 can get up to 900mb when near the router of 1GB

my far laptop can get 300-400mb

But why is the deco which connected to router shows only 400MB ? While the router shows 900mb, both I checked in my iPhone 13 speedtest (Ookla).

I can't return my new Deco m5 device since I already opened it and it in use. 

I still don't understand where the solution. 

Where are the  2.4 GHz and the 5GHz choices ?

As is the specs:

400 Mbps on 2.4 GHz - This is what I get ! (?)
867 Mbps on 5 GHz - Not even neer that.

I turned off  2.4 GHz and still the same speed at was before.

Furthermore the Deco app didn't let me do login even after 3 hours because it saids that there where too many login attempts where made and I need to wait for 10 minutes (which never end and thats could be the whole year).After I reseted the password I could get in 🤦🏻‍♀️.

Options
2022-06-22 15:26:31 - last edited 2022-06-22 15:30:45

@Elado 

Hey

Hopefully should be able to answer some of your questions..

My iPhone 13 can get up to 900mb when near the router of 1GB

my far laptop can get 300-400mb

But why is the deco which connected to router shows only 400MB ? While the router shows 900mb, both I checked in my iPhone 13 speedtest (Ookla).

This is likely down to the version of WiFi on the router, but what you say indicates its a WiFi6 device.  As mentioned earlier the Deco M5 is a WiFi5 device an iPhone13 would connect at 866mbps (2x 433), in reality that will get you around 500mbps, if you are getting ~400 running the network optimisation might help as it could be the channel you are on is congested, hopefully that will solve it.   

At a guess the ISP router you have is a WiFi6 device and when your Iphone is connected to it you will be able to get 1200mbps (2x 600), again a reality for it should be around 900mbps, which is what you are seeing.     In short the Deco M5 is an older device running last generation version of WiFi, it will be slower than the ISP router.   The WiFi6 version of Deco starts with X (x60 x50 etc)

I can't return my new Deco m5 device since I already opened it and it is in use. 

I still don't understand where the solution. 

Was just suggesting as in some countries (mine is one) you can return within 14 days if it is fully repackaged and able to be resold.   It may not be an option for you to do this in which case you may need to consider running cables, unfortunately, 1gbps internet is faster than the Deco M5 can handle, therefore giving it a cable connection would remove some of the overhead to keep speeds as fast as possible.

Where are the 2.64Gh and the 5GH choices ?

I don't see any, as promised, there is only one network. 

These are no longer broadcast as 2x separate networks.   Devices now have a feature called "Band Steering" which means it will detect what frequency (2.4 or 5ghz) is best for the connected device and move it to that frequency automatically.   From your point of view it reads as one network.

2.4ghz is a lot older which means its more congested and slower, the Deco will move you to the 5ghz when possible for that reason.  If it is not moving you to the 5ghz is due to interference / loss of signal, as mentioned earlier 5ghz is a lot more susceptible to this.   Checking the Deco App and clicking on your other node should show you how this is connected and at what strength.  This is the signal from that node to the master node

Furthermore the Deco app didn't let me do login even after 3 hours because it saids that there where too many login attempts where made and I need to wait for 10 minutes (which never end and thats could be the whole year).After I reseted the password I could get in 🤦🏻‍♀️.

Cant say i have ever had that issue thankfully!  

Options
2022-06-22 15:41:22

@Elado 

Where are the  2.4 GHz and the 5GHz choices ?

As is the specs:

400 Mbps on 2.4 GHz - This is what I get ! (?)
867 Mbps on 5 GHz - Not even neer that.

I turned off  2.4 GHz and still the same speed at was before

I think you are missing the point here..  400mbps on 2.4ghz is the Theoretical Speed.. in reality, speeds will be around 60% of that, perhaps even less.   Forget the speeds that are stated, its not going to happen.

For WiFi5    on  2.4ghz expect speeds around 150 / 200mbps as its massively congested and bandwidth is limited.    On 5ghz that will be closer to 500mbps.    As you are getting ~400 you are on 5ghz.    You may be able to push this to ~500 after changing channel (run network optimisation) but that is you limit.

Honestly... if you really want higher speeds on your wifi throughout the house, you will need to return the M5 and buy an X50, then cable the devices together.    You are expecting too much from the WiFi5 device

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 809

Replies: 5

Tags

slow
Related Articles