What modem do I need

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

What modem do I need

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
What modem do I need
What modem do I need
2022-06-25 08:40:21
Tags: #Modem
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

I currently have three deco S4s connected wirelessly around our house and it works great.

We have Virgin media broadband with their hub router (in modem mode) connected by Ethernet cable to the primary deco S4.

This week we are replacing Virgin with Onestream broadband (67mb on Openreach). Onestream provide a basic router - the tp link 300 which I've read that it's quite poor and is limited to single band (2.4 GHz). 

I would like to have a similar set up to the current VM modem set up and was wondering what would be the best modem or hub to buy to replace the one provided by onestream? Ideally I don't want to spend a lot of money on it seeing as it's only a modem. Could I just buy a second hand Openreach compatible modem from eBay that is compatible with Onestream and, if so, what modem or modems are recommended?

Thanks for your help 🙂

Options
3 Reply
Re:What modem do I need
2022-06-26 10:41:44

@GFP 

Personally i wouldn't bother replacing the new router they are providing, just use it for internet only.

As you have a deco cabled into this, its likely close to the router, therefore you wont be using the new routers WiFi, so just disable it.   Use the new router as is with WiFi OFF and you should be sweet, let the Deco do the WiFi.

Options
2022-06-26 11:00:29

@Philbert thanks for your reply - I'll give it a try when it arrives tomorrow and see how it performs - will post again here if I have are any issues..

Thanks again 

Options
2022-07-02 13:43:20
Switched off the wi-fi in the modem/router as you suggested and it all seems to be working perfectly - thanks again 👍
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 746

Replies: 3

Tags

Modem
Related Articles